The Red Hat Engineering team is looking for a Senior Principal Software Engineer to join our Telco Cloud-native Network Function (CNF) Workload engineering group in Toronto, Canada. In this role, you will be part of a team responsible to enable the Telco 5G partner ecosystem developing complex CNF workloads on Red Hat OpenShift. As a part of a geographically distributed team you will collaborate with multiple Red Hat engineering, business, and solutions architecture teams, as well as strategic partners and open source communities around the globe. To be successful in this role, you will need to have motivation, curiosity, passion for problem solving, and experience with telecom infrastructure, networking, container technologies, and open source development.
Primary job responsibilities
- Collaborate with CNF partners to accelerate containerization of their products and integration with the Red Hat OpenShift platform, to ensure best in class functionality, performance, and reliability for introduction into Tier 1 5G networks worldwide.
- Work closely with the platform engineering team to improve and streamline the onboarding experience for partners.
- Play an active role and contribute to multiple open source projects and communities like Cloud Native Network Foundation (CNCF), O-RAN
- Promote the Red Hat Telco stack, as for example universal base images (UBI), Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) data plane development kit (DPDK), and OpenShift Operator Framework
- Understand and assess 3rd party CNFs and guide vendors through the containerization, integration, and certification process
- Troubleshoot, analyze bug root causes, and provide resolutions and recommendations
- Collaborate with vendors to develop CNF certification and continuous integration (CI) test plugins and processes
- Review designs, enhancement proposals, and patches from other team members
- Work with the quality engineering team (QE) to ensure that CNFs are tested correctly
- Publicize the team’s work through blogs, web postings, and conference presentations
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent working experience
- 10+ years of experience in a Linux environment with at least one of the following languages: Golang, Python, Java, or C/C++
- Experience with Linux system programming
- Experience with product development and integration in a Telco environment
- Experience with telco cloud-native network development and deployment
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
The following are considered a plus:
- Experience with CI and continuous delivery (CD) systems
- Experience with container related technologies like Kubernetes, cri-o, etcd
- Infrastructure development background
- Experience leading or contributing to open source communities