In partnership with companies, government and academia, Mitacs is supporting a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people. In order to be successful at Mitacs you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and you are eager to learn and take on new challenges. You promote a team atmosphere and strive to implement continuous improvements in all aspects of your work. Mitacs prides itself on delivering quality, innovative programs to specific markets and encourages all staff to have a strategic approach to the projects they are working on. Mitacs fosters a culture where all employees are valued and respected. More information can be found at www.mitacs.ca .
POSITION SUMMARY – *Please note this is a 1-Year Mat Leave coverage position*
Reporting to the Manager of the Policy team, the Policy Analyst will conduct policy research, issues monitoring, the preparation of materials including briefings, presentations, proposals, submissions and other policy documents as needed. Key files will include international engagement, research and innovation policy. Note that assigned files may change over time and priorities will be determined in collaboration with the Manager and Director, Innovation Policy.
- Conduct policy research and analysis on priority issues within assigned files and others as needed;
- Prepare documentation, briefing notes, reports and regular updates on specific topics for internal and external use;
- Provide support to program development and corporate strategy;
- Monitor issues, developments, trends, and investments in key policy areas;
- Provide support to MarComm team for marketing and communication products, including outlines for op-eds, proof points for articles, speaking notes for senior executives, etc.;
- Develop and maintain contacts with external policy analysts and organisations working on similar files, act as primary liaison at the working level;
- Identify and pursue opportunities for building external profile for Mitacs and its thought leadership (ie. panel presentations, conference speaking roles, op-eds, partnering with other organisations for research projects, etc.)
- Support development of increased policy awareness and capacity within Mitacs through initiation and participation in information sharing and other internal mechanisms; and
- Represent the Policy Team on internal and external working groups where appropriate.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, or related field and 3 years experience working in a policy position;
- Excellent writing skills and ability to document clearly and succinctly for a variety of audiences, both internal and external;
- Familiarity with and interest in Canada’s innovation ecosystem and innovation priorities;
- Demonstrated experience in briefing note and/or report and/or proposal writing;
- Strong organisational and time management skills;
- Experience in working effectively with multiple projects, assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional ability to work independently, while also working with people at all levels of the organization and across teams;
- Fluency in French – written and verbal – considered an asset.
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity, innovation, diversity, and inclusion are valued, encouraged and fostered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadian immigration laws may dictate that Canadians and permanent residents are given priority.
Apply for This Job