We are here to create a world served by exceptional professionals. Our products (Casper, Snapshot, and Duet) help higher education institutions to look beyond book smarts, seeing a clearer, more holistic view of applicants. It’s used by 360+ academic partners in Canada, US, Australia (and growing!) with 150,000+ applicants taking the test each year, and covers 90% of all US medical school applicants. We also host the Admissions Summit, an annual 2-day conference, and power the Alo Grant, an annual $100,000 research fund.
Our Operations Team Philosophy:
On the Operations Team, we fundamentally believe that we will always be greater than the sum of our parts. We love to teach and learn from one another, and we’re always there to lend a hand. We work hard, we take initiative, and we lean into our challenges because that’s where we grow. We celebrate each other’s wins and learn from one another’s mistakes. We recognize the importance of diversity of thought and we strive to welcome all perspectives and opinions to the table. We communicate, early and often, because no problem ever came from over-communicating. And finally, we care- a lot- about our work and our team.
The operations analyst will be a key member of the operations team, responsible for data analysis, reporting, deriving insights and continuously improving upon our operational processes. They will identify procedural and technical challenges and create plans to fix them to ensure best possible test performance. This person will work closely with the Test Operations Manager and the operations team to improve the quality and efficiency of our process and ensure the highest level of integrity of our test operations.
This is a full-time role reporting to the Operations Manager, working from home for at least 9-12 months as we maintain our Covid-19 precautions.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Onboard and get to know the team! We will work hard to make sure you feel supported and well-prepared to take on your new role
- Get to know our test operations inside and out- what goes into creating a Casper test? How does our team support a test? When and how do results get sent to programs? These are all questions that you will be able to answer!
- Learn from your peers- while we all work together at Altus, there are several people within the operations, data science and research teams that will be instrumental in getting you up to speed. Meet with them, ask them questions, shadow them, and learn as much as you can.
- Observe and contribute to our team meetings! You’ll get a clearer picture of how things work in rating, while also giving input about how things can get even better (fresh eyes are key to continuous improvement)
- Get to know the numbers! Become familiar with the ins and outs of looker, our data visualization and business intelligence tool, and start to pave the way to being the in-house expert of the operations team
Within 6 months, you will:
- Be responsible for collecting and reporting on daily, weekly, and monthly operational performance metrics. You will build dashboards for all primary ops functions and monitor/report on them regularly to improve procedural inefficiencies across the team
- Become an expert on our operational processes. Within the first 6 months, you’ll get the hang of all operational processes from test-day to results delivery to rater compensation and more! Knowing these processes end-to-end will allow you to spot our gaps/weaknesses and recommend data-driven solutions to allow us to run faster and more efficiently.
- Become an expert in Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement of the Casper test. We keep a close eye on the performance of the Casper test to ensure a high bar for reliability and validity of our product. Know the numbers, track our progress and report the results to drive quality improvements across the team
- Leverage data to increase effectiveness and efficiency across our team. As an analytical contributor, you will derive insights about our raters, content and applicants, and work with the relevant stakeholder teams to make data-driven decisions to improve our tests and our processes across the board.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Be the in-house expert on the Casper test- you are the go-to person company-wide for all questions pertaining to test performance metrics whether it be related to content, rating or support for our applicants, including both program requests and internal questions. You will review all documents and provide feedback so the right information is presented to the right people.
- Take “digging into the numbers” to the next level- you have an excellent handle on what metrics to track in order to report on the strength of our rater pool, our test content and our applicant acceptability. Conversely, you can spot a problem from a mile away and you know how to analyze and present the data in order to influence decisions and make recommendations for improvements.
- Monitor all relevant dashboards to notify internal stakeholders of concerns/opportunities and make recommendations for improvement
- Develop and enhance KPIs that support targeted action.
- Think strategically about our team operations- Answer the question “What would make our ops 10x better?” and help come up with a plan to get there.
- Challenge the status quo of “how it’s always been done” and continuously raise the bar higher. According to you, the best and most efficient operational processes possible are always just one step ahead of where we are today
What will help you in your role:
- Analytical with a structured work approach
- Experience in Looker (or a similar data intelligence platform)
- Strong technical skills and comfortable making data-driven decisions from insights that you derive on your own
- Detail-oriented and extremely organized
- Comfortable articulating strategic recommendations to all levels of a company
- Startup experience (or similar) preferred
- Project management experience (or similar) preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders
- Bilingual (French/English) is an asset
- A willingness to work a flexible schedule (some evening and weekend team test support will be required)
What we expect from a Mission, Values, & Culture perspective:
- Able to live our core values of Caring, Curious, and Driven to help us attain our goal of creating a world full of exceptional professionals
- We need someone who is a self-starter, highly curious about how the business works, and able to help us focus where it counts
- Great written and oral communication skills
- Has loosely held, strong opinions – knows why they want what they want, but is also abundantly humble, can be wrong, and wants to seek out the best solution, no matter the source
- Interested in being part of an amazing, caring team, and wants to build a sustainable, high growth business
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments and prefers change over status-quo
- Nurturing and empathetic with a professional, positive attitude and a sense of humility
Our Hiring Process:
Our hiring process optimizes for a positive candidate experience. The general hiring process looks like the following:
- Introductory phone screen: Chandra (our Recruitment Specialist) will review your application and if selected, schedule a phone call to get to know you better and tell you more about the role and company.
- Remote Hiring Manager interview: If you pass the phone screen, you’ll have a video chat with our Operations Manager, Ashley, to discuss your experience in more depth.
- Remote team interview: If that goes well, onto a remote team interview, where you will meet with 4-6 members of our team (typically a 2-3 hour session). There will also be a short task assigned that closely mirrors some aspects of the role.
- Reference Checks: We’ll ask for 2-3 professional references to chat about your time working together.
- Final Decision: The hiring manager will consolidate all of the feedback and let you know of their decision (there may be a quick additional call at this stage to help us make a decision)
- Offer: If you are our perfect match, and we’re yours, an official offer will be made!
More about the Altus Assessments team:
We’re a quirky, vibrant, and diverse group of 60+ working collaboratively to tackle some tough problems (like how to evaluate empathy in someone who wants to train to become a doctor), and some less tough ones (like how to answer that bonus question on Trivia Night).
Our core values are caring, curious, and driven, and we embody these in everything that we do. We genuinely care about the well-being of others, we possess an innate desire to continually learn, and every day we strive to be better than the person we were the day before. To learn more, visit us at www.altusassessments.com
Please note that during the Covid-19 precautions, our team has transitioned to remote work-from-home. Though we expect this to be the case for the next 9-12 months, we are consistently and transparently adapting as we receive more information from the experts.
- Bi-weekly virtual team lunches: This (typically in-office) ritual is being supported by UberEats coupons provided by Altus so that you have something to eat at home while we connect over video calls
- $3,000 annual personal and professional development budget
- Generous self-directed vacation policy
- Comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Parental leave benefits
- Team building and social events
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.