Who we are
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators at studios around the world to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands such as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and Watch_Dogs.
Who you are
As the Online Programmer, you enjoy developing solutions for players and friends to connect and play together in real-time on a local network or the Internet. You are good at coordinating with designers and other game developers to help them innovate and exploit opportunities offered by network technologies. You ensure the best multiplayer experience possible given game design and network constraints. You have strong C++ skills. You believe in our studio’s core values and want to be part of a collaborative team.
What you’ll do
- Participate in the creation of new online services related to a game;
- Develop, integrate and maintain global online platform services such as Matchmaking, Leaderboards, etc.;
- Participate in determining systems’ behavior under normal or simulated peak load conditions to optimize performance;
- Network optimizations: minimize bandwidth usage, decrease latency, etc.;
- Implement replication strategies and leverage existing replication systems.
- Program in a clear and structured way, taking into account performance, maintenance, and compatibility requirements;
- Support existing functionalities and systems;
- Track down and correct the bugs identified by quality control or members of the production team;
- Document their work to transfer knowledge and allow users (from other crafts) to understand how to use the new systems and functionalities; • Work on projects of your own initiative through our Innovation Jams
- Carry out all other related tasks
What you bring
At Ubisoft Winnipeg, we look for more than work experience, education or training alone. You have programming experience, but more importantly, a deep passion to build and create.
We want to hear from people with:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Software engineering
- A minimum 5 years of software programming experience
- Proficient in C++ , Go or Rust
- Experience with network programming including serialization and RPC
- Remain calm when facing challenging situations (you know that there is always a solution)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability to changes in an evolving, fast-paced working environment.
Any of the following would be useful:
- Knowledge of server programming and working with datastores (PostgreSQL, Redis, cloud storage…);
- Understanding of scalability issues and replication concepts;
- Understanding of other programming languages such as Python or Java is a plus;
- Knowledge of distributed systems and online services (i.e. guilds, trade etc) is a plus;
- Proactive with strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work as part of a cross-disciplinary team;
- Interest in video games and online gaming
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills, and anything else (GitHub, examples of projects) you think we might find helpful. • A real live person will review your application, in this case Carolina. While we’re doing that, get to know our studio and our team a bit more.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
We believe our diversity is our strength. We recognize and celebrate a variety of perspectives, opinions, opportunities, and voices. We embrace our differences and draw from them to build our collaborative family culture.