Software Engineer, Insurance Solutions
About the Team
The Oliver Wyman Insurance Solutions team delivers impactful business solutions and leading capabilities for life insurers, supported by a high-performance technology platform.
The Insurance Solutions team works closely with Oliver Wyman’s Financial Services and Digital practice groups and operates at the intersection of technology and financial services to solve real world problems faced by some of the world’s leading companies.
The Insurance Solutions team has developed state of the art software and methods for analyzing risk, profitability and value creation in insurance portfolios. These tools and methods help Oliver Wyman’s clients to assess the impact of strategic and tactical decisions before they are carried out.
This cross functional unit is comprised of actuaries, management consultants, product managers, and software engineers working together to deliver cutting edge software and services.
The team owns the development and deployment of Oliver Wyman ATLAS, Oliver Wyman Areon, and Oliver Wyman Fulcrum platforms supporting insurers on a variety of topics from market risk management, to business intelligence delivery, to legacy system transformation. These solutions are deployed as packaged products for multiple clients (with ongoing support), as well as day-to-day tooling used for the execution of client-facing management consulting projects.
Our tools and solutions have been proven in action for over 15 years and have been used in hundreds of consulting projects. Our clients also license the tools and services to analyze and manage portfolios originating on 4 continents with many billions in assets under management.
About the Role
The Software Engineer will possess a passion for software development in the financial services space. The successful candidate will play a critical role in developing and supporting the software products developed by Oliver Wyman as well as working with implementation teams to help maximize our impact during client engagements.
Potential activities for the software engineer include:
- Code business logic calculations, involving memory or CPU intensive stages, in the existing solution platform
- Develop new features in the existing Oliver Wyman software platform, or create new solutions to extend or enhance the platform
- Work with implementation teams to establish infrastructure and/or data pipelines
- Update graphical, web or command-line interfaces of Oliver Wyman’s software products
The engineer needs to:
- Be a self-starter who can thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment, by showing an interest in building his/her own knowledge to maximize their contribution to the team
- Understand requirement definitions and translate them into actionable tasks
- Communicate technical concepts to peers
- Write reusable, scalable, secure, and efficient code suitable for the problem at hand
- Understand and follow development best practices such as peer code review (pull requests), linting, unit tests and integration tests
- Be responsive to feedback and be participative in a team setting
The Software Engineer will work closely with and learn from motivated professionals with wide-ranging expertise while interacting with a variety of clients. The Software Engineer will enjoy significant autonomy to own their work and be empowered to make meaningful contributions. At the same time, this role will help develop valuable business skills and acumen to kick-start their professional career on the right foot.
This role is a Specialist in the Financial Services practice group of Oliver Wyman and may require occasional travel once circumstances permit.
You should possess the following experience and qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree (bachelor or equivalent) in the fields of computer science, software engineering, computational mathematics, or similar quantitative fields.
Recent graduates, or those who are on track for imminent completion are welcome to apply.
- Total of 0 to 5 years of relevant work experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with standard DevOps tools and platforms including version control systems (Git, SVN) and continuous integration systems (Jenkins, TeamCity)
- Familiar with cloud-based infrastructure using Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure, and how to utilize basic components (such as EC2/VM, S3/Blob Storage) using APIs and SDKs
The following experience and qualifications would be highly desirable:
- Strong understanding of three or more programming languages above
- Ability to program high performance solutions using multi-threading, program optimization, locally distributed processing, and cloud-based scalable processing
- Experience with specific packages and frameworks in the key programming languages, such as Vue.js, Bootstrap (or generic CSS), Webpack, WPF, Electron.js, PySpark and others
- Exposure to relational database systems (SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB, Postgres etc.) and NoSQL databases (Mongo, AWS SimpleDB)
- Familiarity with secure DevOps (DevSecOps) concepts and tools, such as Kubernetes, Docker
- API management, including designing, implementing, testing and documenting REST/HTTP APIs
- Experience using advanced features and concepts of AWS or Azure, such as serverless deployment, containerization, infrastructure as code
- UX and UI design for desktop and browser-based applications
About your Career
Oliver Wyman’s work is marked by exceptional impact for our clients. By consistently producing results, Oliver Wyman has earned a reputation for quality work and attractive career opportunities
A rewarding career at Oliver Wyman includes:
- Work with our clients’ senior management from Day One to solve challenging problems
- A merit-based ecosystem that provides for rapid advancement without requiring an MBA
- A global staffing model and client base, enabling a diverse set of international opportunities
- Attractive compensation which is directly linked to performance
- A company that is committed to work-life sustainability and having fun
- Extensive opportunities to allow career flexibility including corporate externships, 10/11-month work years or sabbaticals, and non-profit fellowships through our FlexOW talent programs
- An open, respectful, and inclusive culture that welcomes, values, and supports all colleagues as they are
- A springboard to attractive career opportunities
About the Firm
Oliver Wyman is a global leader in management consulting. With offices in 60 cities across 29 countries, Oliver Wyman combines deep industry knowledge with specialized expertise in strategy, operations, risk management, and organization transformation. The firm has more than 5,000 professionals around the world who work with clients to optimize their business, improve their operations and risk profile, and accelerate their organizational performance to seize the most attractive opportunities. Our work is marked by exceptional impact for our clients and we have earned a reputation for quality work and that is why we represent half of the top 500 global companies.
Oliver Wyman is an equal opportunity employer and a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies.
To learn more, please follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter: @OliverWyman.
Due to the nature of our work, an offer of employment based in Canada requires valid authorization to work in Canada and the United States. Candidates must be able to provide the Company with documented proof of their right to engage in permanent employment in Canada and to work in the United States.