Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Do y ou thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere ? Are y ou an “out side the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements ? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy in a fast-paced culture where y our opinions are valued and respected ?
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and non-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, government s and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people.
T o get a better understanding of Mitacs and r ead more about our values please visi t our website
Mitacs Business Development Specialist working with Data Science Nexus, University of Manitoba
Full-Time Temporary Employment – One Year Contract
This is not your ordinary sales job. Our business development team members are the bridge between academia and industry partners or organisations. They spot opportunities and take action on behalf of Mitacs. They are at the forefront of marketing Mitacs programs and are analogous to matchmakers, who find the common interests between companies and our researchers.
If you were to join Mitacs as the Business Development Specialist for Data Science Nexus, we’d ask you to do the following:
- Work closely with members of Mitacs Business Development, Research, and Programs teams to deliver high – quality programming
- Work closely with Data Science Nexus to fully understand the needs of their researchers, find industry opportunities and identify the best programs to leverage the research and partnership opportunities uncovered
- Works with the Director of Co-op programs in the Faculty of Science to augment coop opportunities for data science related placements
- Create and maintain a network of partners/clients in industry and academia
- Introduce companies and not-for-profit organisations to various Mitacs programs
- Introduce companies to various Data Science NEXUS researchers
- Provide support to the Business Development Team as needed
- Provide business development support to all Mitacs programs as appropriate
- Provide business development support to Data Science Nexus partners
- Maintain marketing, communication, web, and social media for Data Science Nexus and Data Science Nexus related activities.
- Help organize and deliver workshops, training, seminars, and interactive activities for Data Science Nexus.
This sounds quite exciting and challenging, right? Let’s hope so, because if it does, there’s a good chance this job is right for you. Here’s what you will have already that will help you to handle these challenges:
- PhD or a Master’s Degree and the equivalent experience (ideally in a data science related discipline)
- Business Development experience is preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Enthusiastic and high – energy self – starter
- Team player
- Ability to think creatively and try new things
- Desire to pursue a career outside of research and academia
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high performance culture
Special consideration will be given to applicants with an active network with proven ability to promote participation and sponsorship in programs or initiatives in their community.
* Please note that this position is available only in Data Science NEXUS located in Winnipeg
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity , innovation , diversity, and inclusion are valued , encouraged and fostered . We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadian immigration laws may dictate that Canadians and permanent residents are given priority.
Apply for This Job