How do you imagine life at an insurance company – its people, its culture, its offices? We bet that if you join Intact, you will be in for quite a surprise! With a dynamic team, exciting challenges, beautiful offices, inspiring colleagues and a great work culture (Intact Financial Corporation was recently named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers), Intact offers an amazing environment to develop your skills and grow your career.
Behind every one of our products and services is a team of motivated, intelligent and hard-working employees. As the largest provider of property and casualty insurance in the country, every one of our 12,000 employees believes that our customer service focus is second to none – and you will too! We’re a financially strong and stable Canadian company who is the proven leader in our industry – and we’re looking for you!
Workplace: Toronto (700 University av.)
ABOUT SOFTWARE ENGINEERING – COMMERCIAL LINES:
The Commercial Lines Software Engineering team consists of a group of talented, diverse and open minded professionals who are working towards transforming Commercial Lines (CL) systems using new modern technology stack.
Our team is undergoing rapid evolution to keep up with the rapid pace of technological changes. It is important for us to be smart and open minded about the way we think about technology and the way we build products for our users. Our technical and business teams work closer than ever as new opportunities present themselves.
We are proud to have:
- A solid track record of successful deliveries in a scaled Agile environment
- A fun atmosphere (we literally have a Fun Zone on the floor! Think “Movie day + all you can eat popcorn,” “Jersey Day” or “Quick Quote P&C Beard Growing Contest” and you’ll get the picture)
- Our department hashtag – #BestTeamEver – says a lot about who we are and the type of team that we strive to be.
We have a big and busy mandate, and we are looking for a passionate, forward thinking and experienced Manager to join the Commercial Lines Software Engineering team to help us in our innovation and digital journey, leveraging full stack development and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to transform the way we do insurance.
As Manager, Software Engineering, you will be part of the larger technical leadership community solving technical challenges and influencing our long-term technical strategy, accountable for leading, inspiring, energizing and ensuring high engagement of a cross-functional team.
You are passionate about building scalable enterprise software with high quality. You are a strategic thinker and a proven development leader delivering SOA-based software with UIs, APIs, and Services that enable business agility. You are always ready to roll-up your sleeves and dive into technical and architecture challenges helping your team make the right, forward-thinking decisions for our business stakeholders and the organization as a whole.
You will also:
- Own technology, architecture and development practices aspects for designated portfolio
- Be responsible for setting and implementing the technological vision for developing software to serve company needs
- Be aggressive in driving progress to the implementation of our Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery and end-to-end Automation practices
- Implement and strengthen Test Driven Development (TDD) practices across multiple squads
- Work closely with IT Leadership to ensure ongoing focus on reusability and scalability to maximize returns on the CL suite of applications
- Maintain proficient knowledge of industry trends and technology innovation, identifying opportunities and suggesting solutions as appropriate
- Collaborate with other Software Engineering Managers and Project Managers to ensure all initiatives have appropriate staffing, balancing business need with the individual’s experience and career aspirations
- Work with various technical stakeholders, including the Intact Lab and Data Lab teams, to integrate digital and customer experience best practices, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning into CL systems
- Ensure our awesome work follows departmental standards on software engineering, architecture and quality
- Anticipate problems and difficult situations and take necessary measures to resolve them.
- Manage ongoing relationships and expectations of stakeholders and senior management
- Maintain a strong business focus with an understanding of the current and strategic direction of Intact technologies.
- As we strive for continuous improvement, evolve our Agile practices based on learnings throughout the end-to-end development lifecycle
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Computer Science/Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience leading development initiatives within IT
- This is a highly technical role and will be suitable for those with Development and/or architecture lead background with a strong record of making sound and solid technical decisions.
- A reputation as a solid, dynamic leader – team members want to work with you and for you
- Significant experience leading highly skilled and sizeable software engineering teams through the full software development life cycle including managing cross functional project teams
- Extensive experience defining and executing Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD) processes and workflows
- Experience with Security best practices and Secure Coding guidelines
- Solid understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, SOAP, XML, WSDL.
- Strong understanding of Agile Principles and demonstrated ability to apply it on daily basis.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile Frameworks (Scrum, Kanban etc.)
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills with the ability to promote collaborative team environments and work well with cross-functional groups.
- Ability to work autonomously and independently while maintaining alignment with CL leadership team
- Demonstrated initiative, negotiating and coaching skills.
Nice to have:
- Experience in project management competencies including planning, budget and timeline management, scope management, risk management, timely decision making, effective team building.
- Knowledge of Commercial Lines Insurance
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) is a bonus.
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our value of Respect is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and fostering collaboration. We value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please advise the Talent Acquisition partner who reaches out about the job opportunity and they will work with you to meet your needs.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.