You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
About the role
The candidate will be a member of the Mainframe Database Services team within the Data Management Services department. The primary goal of the team is to provide DB2 and IMS database administration support to various Canadian and US applications. The role will also provide the opportunity to work on infrastructure projects and other peripheral technologies (Optim data masking/archiving etc.).
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated individual to play an integral part in our team’s mission to provide high quality database administration support to our clients. Our clients depend on mainframe databases for a number of their key applications and this dependency is expected to continue well into the foreseeable future
What will you do?
- Create new database objects or modify existing ones as requested by the client
- Ensure databases are available as per service level agreements
- Take appropriate steps to ensure database integrity
- Take appropriate steps to ensure proper database recoverability (onsite and offsite)
- Take appropriate steps to ensure that database performance meets client demands (proactive and reactive monitoring)
- Pursue opportunities to reduce processing costs as appropriate
- Take appropriate steps to ensure proper capacity planning
- Assist with security setup and audit requirements
- Assist with data archiving, data masking and test data creation
- Review database design and make recommendations regarding logical to physical model implementations
- Provide support to developers with regards to database topics (SQL-queries, IMS DLI calls, tools usage etc.)
- Review new database or related tool features and make recommendations for exploitation
- Assume an active role in improving current processes or finding innovative new solutions to known problems
- Maintain up-to-date documentation of all supported applications and standard procedures
- Ensure proper adherence to standards and change management policies
What you need to succeed
- Degree in Computer Science
- Knowledge of IMS and/or DB2 for Z/OS (administration, performance, security etc.)
- 5+ Experience with RACF or ACF2
- 5+ Experience with JCL
- 5 + Experience with peripheral tools and technologies (IBM HP IMS utilities, CA DB2 tools, File Aid, CA-7, ZEKE, REXX etc)
- Experience with Optim data masking and date archive tools
- Experience with mainframe programming languages
- Experience with MQ and/or DB2-connect
- Bilingualism (French and English, written and spoken)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills, monitoring skills and ability to multi-task and escalate to manager when issues arise
- Ability to work and lead projects with minimal direction and to successfully juggle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Good judgement in knowing when to escalate issues including seeking guidance when managing competing priorities and peak workload situations
- Work closely with team members, technical/team leads, management, specialized IT areas and application support teams to ensure consistent delivery and quality of database services
- Ability to evaluate functionality and features with newer versions of the IMS and DB2 DBMS as part of a readiness program
- Windows office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
- An environment of continuous learning and improvement
- Flexible hours and periodic work from home options
- This role requires Canadian enhanced reliability security clearance.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to [email protected] .
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
73,800/73 800 – 124,100/124 100
IT – Technology Services
Posting End Date: