Do you want to solve difficult, complex problems and build innovate solutions for a large and successful retail category within Amazon?
The vision for Amazon Beauty is to become the most trusted Beauty retailer in the world. To reach this goal we develop technologies that allow customers to find the right product for their skin/hair/body across the largest catalog of beauty products in the world with the highest accuracy and the best user experience. Our products scale globally and are nimble to address the various customer needs across global market places.
Our team is growing so we are looking for several talented Software Development Engineers to join a brand new team focused on building delightful customer experiences across the beauty space.
About the role
You will be directly responsible for designing and developing the engaging and innovative shopping experiences for beauty and grooming products on Amazon. You will work directly with the product management, designer and the broader Amazon tech community to build software solutions to enhance the beauty shopping experience across all surfaces, including desktop, mobile devices, and other Amazon devices.
You will need to develop/sharpen your Computer vision skills as you will be working closing with applied scientists to ensure we are providing the right experience customers and the right data accuracy to downstream systems. Your additional focus will be on ensuring high data quality, scalability and availability of the platform.
Our team has both the startup size and mentality, you will need to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats, and work in a highly collaborative environment. We like to move fast, experiment, iterate and then scale quickly, thoughtfully balancing speed and quality.
You will take on interesting challenges every day. You will need to be comfortable pushing back and challenging the status-quo. You will need to design keeping both short-term and long-term mind. You will need to make high judgement calls around reuse vs rebuild. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems. You will need to be comfortable in leading design reviews and representing your team and business to other parts of Amazon.
The ideal candidate will be a leader who is a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, demonstrates strong attention to detail, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. You will have excellent business, technical, analytical and strategic thinking skills. You are effectively able to work with business and technology leaders to define and prioritize key business and customer problems, build data acquisition and integration pipelines to create data sets and deliver effective CXs.
What you will work on
The Amazon Beauty Tech team owns the end-to-end beauty shopping experience for customers globally. This new team will own the customer facing features to enhance the Amazon shopping experience for beauty customers.
Our team is working on some exciting and innovative projects that will take the Amazon beauty and grooming experience to the next level. For 2021 these include:
• Building an interactive expert advisor experience where customers answer specific questions about their needs, establishing a customer ‘Beauty Profile’, and presenting highly personalized product recommendations.
• Continuing the growth of Virtual Try On (VTO) through global expansion, category expansion and improvements to the user experience.
• Developing tools that utilize computer vision algorithms and augmented reality UX to analyse a customer’s skin, provide detailed feedback, and capture this data to drive even better personalized shopping experiences.
In order to achieve our vision, we think big and tackle technology challenges. We leverage internal technologies as a platform to build on custom solutions tailored to the Beauty experience. Where existing technology does not exist or cannot extend to meet our needs we will build something that does, ensuring
As the problem is so wide and the team new, we need members who are passionate and willing to learn and lead innovation. Our architecture and development processes supports rapid experimentation, global simultaneous deployments, and self-service capabilities that allow our program team to enhance experiences without dev team involvement.
• Amazon scale systems. All our technology needs to work at Amazon scale, serving millions of customers with millisecond level latency.
• Facial recognition and augmented reality (AR) experiences. We are bringing exciting experiences direct to the customer mobile phone using their cameras and combinations of facial recognition and AR.
• Personalization using machine learning. We will be working with machine learning (ML) technologies such as data classification and reinforced learning models in order to provide better personalized shopping experiences.
• Exciting customer experiences. We will create beautiful and dynamic customer experiences that requires deep knowledge of relevant UI technologies and user-centric design patterns.
• Data & analytics tools. Amazon is data driven and a strong data backbone is necessary in our systems. We build on core AWS services such as EC2, S3, DynamoDB, etc.
• Multi-device support. We build for all traditional surfaces – desktop browsers, mobile browsers and mobile applications – and have long-term ideas to expand in to other devices.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related topics.
• 6+ years industry experience developing complex technology projects.
• Demonstrated ability to own and design complex technical architectures, making trade-offs to balance speed of delivery while maintaining the quality bar.
• Experience influencing and driving software engineering best practices within your team.
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C#, Python
• Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Object Oriented Design (OOD),
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and create/explain/defend technical designs
• Experience developing web and mobile products and technologies.
• Passion for technical innovation and learning new systems/technologies.
• Masters degree or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related topics.
• Familiarity with AWS services such as EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, AWS Lambda, and Amazon SageMaker.
• Knowledge of, and experiencing with, machine learning algorithms and computer vision.
• Familiarity with at least 1-2 popular AI/ML frameworks and tools – TensorFlow, PyTorch, MXNext, scikit-learn, OpenCV, and ARToolKit.
• Experience developing augmented reality (AR) solutions, particularly real-time overlays using mobile phone cameras.
• Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and collaborating across multiple teams.
• 8+ years industry experience developing complex technology projects.