This role will start off as work from home, gradually you will be required to work in the Markham or Toronto office location.
Join an exciting team of actuaries, data scientists and engineers at the forefront of leveraging data to drive decisions at every level of our organization. The insurance industry is undergoing a transformation and you get to be in the driver’s seat during this data-driven, technology revolution.
As a machine learning engineer, you will be part of a dynamic small team with exposure to different business stakeholders and direct influence on future products and innovative solutions. You will help build the foundation that enables our team to bring insights to the business and impact millions of customers.
What you need to succeed:
As a machine learning engineer, you will need the following skills and experience to succeed in the role:
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
- 2+ programming experience in Python with strong grasp of software engineering standard methodologies such as code-reusability, modularity, use of repos, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
- Experience in a data-driven software engineering environment, with an end-to-end understanding of how to leverage data to make business decisions.
- A proven track record in building and maintaining high quality, robust and maintainable code.
- Experience building and working within a Continuous Integration framework.
- An understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals and create models with the help of another team member.
- Understanding of Data Warehouse concepts, ETL strategies and best practices.
- An appetite for problem solving with a creative and resourceful approach to finding the right solution for the job.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
What sets you apart:
- You are a self-motivated and outgoing person who can work closely with business and IT stakeholders.
- You understand the relationship between data and business outcomes and can focus on long term strategies for data.
- Proficiency with PostgreSQL, Teradata, Hadoop and AWS is an asset.
- Experience with technologies such as Spark, Databricks and Scala will be considered an asset
- You have experience working as part of an Agile Team.
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.