We are currently seeking an LOA Support Specialist III. This is a remote position that will be located in Canada. This position is responsible for a wide variety of support and administrative tasks, overseeing and administering the Leave of Absence and Disability Management process from beginning to end for leave requests and accommodations needing special attention. Leverages knowledge of specific provincial leave laws, federal and provincial Human Rights legislation, and other local leave laws as needed, and manages the coordination of timely reports.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
What you will do
* Adheres to SYKES policies on ethics and integrity.
* Supports complex absence management, disability and return-to-work cases.
* Possesses solid knowledge of Human Resources policies and procedures and employment-related legislations within all Canadian provinces (e.g., Human Rights legislation, Employment Standards laws, Health & Safety rules).
* Communicates with employees, managers and other departments regarding the employee’s need for leave and/or modified work schedules; ensures that employees are aware of their responsibilities and of any documentation and notice required to qualify for and to take leave.
* Handles the leave administration process from the employee’s initial notice of the need for leave to the return-to-work, including gathering and completing all required paperwork, determining leave eligibility, designating leave as qualifying, requesting medical certification as needed, and accounting for intermittent and reduced schedule leave use.
* Places follow-up calls on outstanding medical documentation with employee, physician’s offices and/or providers.
* Maintains reasonable communication with employees on leave to facilitate smooth and timely return-to-work; relays communication between employees, Benefits and their managers during leave within reason.
* Answers various questions and advises managers and employees on the interaction of different leave laws with unpaid/paid time off, workers’ compensation, and short-term and long-term disability benefits.
* Oversees the return-to-work process for employees returning from extended leave(s) and notifies appropriate parties upon approval of leave and return-to-work.
* Facilitates other leave requests, which may include accommodation requests under the Human Rights Act, jury duty, bereavement, childcare, etc.
* Administers other company time-off programs as assigned in accordance with internal policy and applicable laws.
* Drafts and/or recommends revisions to company leave policies to ensure compliance with federal, state/provincial, and local laws and regulations.
* Maintains complete and accurate records of leave and accommodation requests in accordance with specified legal requirements and documentation of best practices.
* Preserves confidentiality of employee medical documentation and files.
* Maintains knowledge of all applicable leave and accommodation laws including the Human Rights and other state/provincial leave laws.
* May perform other additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Desired qualifications, skills and experience
* Ability to perform essential duties listed above
* Bilingual in English/French preferred
* Extensive knowledge of the leave requirements and other legal protections afforded by the Human Rights Act, provincial employment standards laws and other applicable laws
* Excellent customer service and communication skills (both written and verbal)
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
* High sense of urgency and prioritization skills
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
* Ability to work collaboratively and develop solid working partnerships with HR peers and customer personnel
* Fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of HRMS technologies and relational databases
* Ability to understand the organization’s working structure, politics, mission, and strategies
* Ability to partner with other functional areas to accomplish mutual objectives
* Ability to facilitate meetings and/or discussions, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas, and problems are addressed
* Ability to gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings to assignments
* Ability to incorporate needs, wants, and goals from different business unit perspectives into an enterprise-wide organizational and position structure
* Ability to keep all appropriate parties up-to-date on decisions, changes, and other relevant information
* Ability to learn and apply new information, skills, and processes quickly
* Ability to build upon existing knowledge and skills
* High School Diploma or equivalent
* Bachelor degree preferred
SYKES Enterprise services support the worldwide delivery of quality customer care from our call centers and our large home-based workforce. Our high-performance team manages a challenging array of cloud, web- and- mobile based solutions that integrate a dispersed workforce and multiple clients. Information security, network administration and software development are part of our comprehensive global portfolio. IT professionals with a passion for challenging and meaningful work in a fast-paced industry will find a home and a rewarding career here.
COMMITMENT TO ETHICS AND EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated is firmly committed to conducting business in compliance with the letter and spirit of the law and other accepted standards of business conduct as reflected in the company’s policies. SYKES is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. SYKES is committed to selecting, developing, and rewarding the best person for the job based on the requirements of the work to be performed and without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability/handicap, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity and expression, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. EEO.