Bank of Montreal
YSC – 2 Sheppard Avenue East
Job Family Group:
Enterprise Architect – Lead API Architecture
Creates a visionary API and Microservices IT architecture roadmap and organizational strategy to align business needs with technologies. Leads and facilitates the design and implementation of repeatable technical solutions and processes related to technology architecture. Defines and documents efficient and transparent architectural principles, standards, and guidelines regarding the proper use and deployment of business applications, data, and technology within the Bank. Partners with broader internal stakeholders to define architectural possibilities and futures. Works with business and development teams to recommend processes or system design enhancements. Ensures that systems are functionally appropriate, technically sound, and well-integrated. Provides immediate response to critical production program-wide problems to evaluate solutions, coordinate applicable recovery, and ensure resolution.
- Create and maintain a set of enterprise API & Microservices conceptual, reference and target architecture, adoption roadmap, principles, standards, patterns, tools and guidelines.
- Define enterprise API strategy in support of IT digital transformation and standardization
- Build an overarching view of the organization’s business capabilities and domain services landscape aligned with business priority & objective
- Lead the API Design Review Council to conduct the enterprise governance on API design, platform & product development, reuse and adoption, security and integration.
- Lead and drive API & Microservices enterprise strategies and target architecture adoption for refactoring and de-compositing legacy or monolith systems by best practices, and promote new applications in Microservices based architecture and adopt modern technologies
- Define and maintain the enterprise consistent taxonomies & data model for business domain services and message semantics.
- Lead the API platform and technology product evaluation and proof of concept
- Acts as a trusted advisor to senior leaders for making business decisions and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Develops an expert understanding of business/group challenges.
- Networks with industry contacts to gather competitive insights and best practices.
- Works with senior leaders from various groups to provide architectural recommendations and guidance and executive-level, enterprise presentations.
- Leads and facilitates the design of technology projects and applications.
- Provides architectural expertise and domain knowledge on APIs and related technologies to advise and guide senior leaders.
- Support fast paced innovation/development teams to design new APIs with agility and velocity.
- Participates in planning and implementing a 3-year engineering / technical roadmaps for one or more architectural layers.
- Participates in architecture review / Board meetings to align the organization and architecture with the enterprise business model; provides architectural direction and communicates architectural decisions, plans, goals, and strategies.
- Delivers architectural initiatives that drive revenue and improve efficiency to align with business strategy.
- Develops and maintains current and planned state architectural blueprints.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Acts as the prime contact for internal/external stakeholder relationships, which may include regulators.
- Solves complex system issues/failures and helps to determine root causes and designs solutions.
- Ensures that chosen technology is updated or replaced, as needed; understands and balances the complete lifecycle of technical choices.
- Identifies and develops operational plans across technologies and/or across systems.
- Ensures that the right people from across the enterprise participate in technical design and vendor selection for projects.
- Creates and manages key architecture assets for the designated portfolio and business scope.
- Ensures sound and robust architecture and provides sufficient guidance for the successful implementation of solutions to mitigate negative enterprise technology and budget impacts.
- Identifies risks or issues with technology solution and design that may impact realization of project benefits, and guides and supports stakeholders in making good decisions that proactively resolve or mitigate potential project risks/delays.
- Participates in the system specification review process to ensure system requirements can be translated into valid software architecture.
- Identifies and researches relevant technologies, performs proofs of concept / prototypes, and recommends the applications of such technologies for future product architecture.
- Provides input into the preparation of business case.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability of the technology organization (e.g. sharing architectural expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks).
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities, and individual learning.
- Provides architectural expertise and domain knowledge to advise and guide senior leaders.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a senior specialist resource across BMO.
- Influences how teams/groups work together.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to multiple, interdependent, complex problems.
- Communicates abstract concepts in simple terms.
- Fosters strong internal and external networks and works with and across multiple teams to achieve business objectives.
- Anticipates trends and responds by implementing appropriate changes.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 15+ years of work experience in IT or business environment and/or BSc or MS in computer science, engineering, information systems, math, or business.
- 10+ years of proven software and application architecture experience
- Proven experience designing and implementing mobile applications and services at large scale.
- Proven experience designing and implementing cloud-based applications, awareness of main public cloud offerings (AWS or Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud).
- Excellent knowledge of the API design ecosystem: Swagger, Open API, RAML, YAML, Smart Doc and etc.
- Expert knowledge of computer or network systems hardware and software theory, practice, concepts, and technologies, different types of network topologies and security with proven integration experience on scalable complex systems across geolocations or clouds infrastructure.
- Proven experience and excellent knowledge of most common software architecture & design patterns and the complexity of large global financial organization.
- Proven successful experience on transforming monolith applications to Microservices.
- Self-starter and self-motivated to learn new technologies and ability to adapt to change while continuing to deliver on assigned objectives.
- Good knowledge of API & Microservices technologies and containers. (i.e. Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, gRPC, Kafka, NiFi, GraphQL, Istio, Mesh, Envoy, Docker, Kubernetes and etc)
- Knowledge of APIM platforms i.e CA, Apigee, Mulesoft and IBM
- Awareness of how scalable, enterprise-level software system is designed (both on code and infrastructure levels).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and influencing skills with ability to build and foster relationships with business users, project stakeholders, strategic technology partners and external vendors.
- Understanding of software release process (environments, binary repositories, CI/CD).
- Attention to details, high standards for quality.
- Strong time management skills including multi-tasking in fast-paced environments while keeping the attention to details, high standards for quality.
- Sufficient business knowledge to assess impact of applied technology on customer business processes.
- Understands the strategic technical direction of: middleware, continuous Integration, and continuous deployment, testing, systems management, enterprise data and access layers, and pertinent styles of computing.
- Possesses a deep understanding and problem solving ability of various complexities.
- Expert knowledge in the techniques that go into producing designs of complex systems, including requirements discovery and analysis, formulation of solution context, identification of solution alternatives and their assessment, technology selection, and design configuration.
- Seasoned expert with extensive industry knowledge.
- Technical leader viewed as a thought leader for innovation.
- Verbal & written communication skills – Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – Expert.
- Influence skills – Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration – Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making – Expert.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at www.jobs.bmo.ca/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.