IT System Administrator
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Job Type: Full time, permanent
Experience: Minimum 4 years experience
Education: Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, or a related discipline
About the Job:
We are looking for a passionate IT System Administrator who has a strong desire to be part of a fast-growing organization. As Nicoya’s first dedicated in-house IT professional there will be a wide range of responsibilities to support a 70+ person company and opportunities to make a lasting impact. The role will report to the VP of Operations, and work closely with the development team on some projects.
Who you are:
You’re excited to take our IT department from startup to scaleup! You enjoy supporting a team and ensuring networks, security, and IT needs are in check. You thrive in developing the processes required to support a growing company. You’re energetic, super organized, and like diving headfirst into problems and opportunities to help the organization improve.
Duties will include:
- Source and procure all company IT needs (computers, computer accessories, conferencing tools, networking HW, etc)
- Create and maintain an inventory of office technology assets.
- Develop and own computer maintenance and replacement programs.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement security enhancement (for the network and physical building)
- Develop security process and monitoring (password management, phishing awareness, offsite PC usage, etc.)
- Recommend and implement policies in Active Directory.
- Create visual diagrams to show infrastructure relationships
- Develop IT disaster recovery plan.
- Maintain and manage an up to date inventory of installed software and licenses assigned to each user
- Schedule and complete routine system maintenance
- Complete various employee onboarding / offboarding tasks
- Execute the decommission and retiring of equipment including data migrations to new systems
- Support and troubleshoot network, printers, servers, computers and systems
- Manage requests through the I.T. ticketing system
- Guide users to solutions through in-person, remote, phone and email technical support
- Maintain and update VPN as needed
- Provide technical input to Nicoya products design
Our ideal candidate has:
- Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, or a related discipline
- 4+ years of experience in an IT role.
- Experience working on Servers, Cloud environments, Networks and repairing computers
- Experience in IT security.
- A proactive and forward-thinking approach to work
- Strong hardware and software troubleshooting skills
- Strong Network / VPN / Internet connectivity skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written
- Ability to interact professionally and respectfully with others
- Tackles decision making and problem-solving with a consultative approach
- Ability to contribute effectively independently and in a team environment
- Strong ability to operate in a dynamic work environment that requires flexibility, multi-tasking and prioritizing of demands and commitments
- IT network or security certifications
- AWS experience
Nicoya’s mission is to improve human life by helping scientists succeed. We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing company with a worldwide presence based in Kitchener, Ontario – Canada’s Silicon Valley. We have a team of world-class engineers, scientists, and designers building disruptive products to help researchers make their next big discovery. Our newest product, Alto, is a scientific instrument for the biotechnology research and drug discovery industry. It provides detailed information on molecular interactions using optical nanosensor technology known as localized surface plasmon resonance (SPR). It is the first SPR instrument on the market to incorporate Digital Microfluidics technology which has disrupted an industry that has been primarily dominated by highly expensive and complex instrumentation. We recently raised $10 million in Series A funding to boost development, sales and marketing initiatives for Alto.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
Apply for This Job