South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
At South32, Corporate Development is accountable for developing and implementing portfolio strategy. Our Vancouver office supports South32’s corporate development activity in the Americas.
The successful candidate will provide general and specialist Health, Safety, Security, and Environment (HSSE) support to the Greenfields Exploration team, and other sub-functions under Corporate Development.
The role provides HSSE support for the safe execution of global Greenfields Exploration activities in accordance with South32 Standards, Greenfields Exploration Operational protocols, approved field reconnaissance and operational work programs.
Accountabilities ( Include but are not limited to) :
- Support Greenfields Exploration leadership to ensure activities conform to the appropriate South32 standard, systems, processes, and critical controls for Exploration material risks.
- Provide specialist HSSE support to the global Greenfields Exploration team, including coaching and facilitating risk assessments to identify and implement appropriate controls at the project / activity level, and to follow-up verification for control effectiveness
- Drive the implementation of group and corporate Occupational Health & Safety programs and ensure the Greenfields Exploration workforce is informed and trained to identify hazards, manage risk, and utilize safe work practices.
- Provide strategic and continuous improvement input to global Greenfields Exploration planning and field execution activities.
- Develop sound working relationships based on mutual trust, with key Greenfields Exploration stakeholders, to ensure HSSE work is executed in alignment with the requirements of the South32 Standards and Greenfield Exploration protocols.
- Provide G360 support and coaching to the Corporate Development team.
- Gains HSSE related approvals in compliance with South32 standards and procedures.
- Effectively manage the health and safety component of the Injury Management processes.
- Ensure support is provided to the Greenfields Exploration teams for the management of all Significant Events, including all aspects of the investigation process and the reporting requirements under G360.
- Develop and maintain governance of all aspects of Greenfields Exploration reporting including data integrity, accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensure all aspects of regulatory reporting are conducted to the required quality and delivered in a timely manner.
- Lead, coach and mentor team members to deliver against the Corporate Development HSSE goals.
- Maintain an understanding of regionally-available HSE resources; and develops and maintains relationships with third parties with regional or project-specific expert knowledge.
- Monitor Greenfields Exploration HSSE process metrics and contribute to initiatives to improve the planning and execution of HSSE function owned work, and work associated with HSSE critical controls.
Qualifications, Skills, and Expertise:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a preference in a health sciences discipline such as Industrial Hygiene or Occupational Health and Safety required.
- Previous experience working with global Greenfields Exploration field teams would be highly regarded.
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position required.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, demanding work environment require.
- Proven contribution in establishing work plans and leading the delivery of those plans, based on effective leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in planning for and executing technical HSSE related work.
- Track record in leading change initiatives in a diverse business setting.
- Excellent skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning, and organizing.
- Strong internal and external customer service focus.
- Demonstrated capability to develop sound working relationships based on trust, required to negotiate and influence both internal and external stakeholders, including:
- Greenfields Leadership Team
- Exploration field teams, contractors and consultants
- Community stakeholders
- 7+ years’ experience in HSSE role for global exploration groups or resource industry group.
- Experience in advising and working with Exploration teams will be highly regarded.
- Stakeholder Management – Demonstrates an ability to influence, communicate and engage with internal and external stakeholders to achieve positive outcomes for the team.
- Has a can-do attitude.
- Attention to detail – Possesses superior attention to detail, particularly under tight time pressures, to maintain the right ‘client service’ approach and perspective with respect to the team, internal stakeholder and business partners.
- Planning and coordination – Ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Judgement – Independent and pro-active problem solver able to work within a small globally distributed team.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.