About Citylitics Inc.
Citylitics delivers predictive intelligence on local utility & public infrastructure markets
The U.S. needs to invest $4.5 Trillion over the next 5 years to upgrade its infrastructure, including water, energy, public transit, roads, airports, and more. Citylitics is the only source of predictive intelligence on where, how, and why these infrastructure investments will be made. Our Data Engine transforms over a billion documents buried in 31,000+ cities & utilities data sources into high value intelligence for targeted business development. The largest infrastructure industry leaders rely on Citylitics for external datasets and intelligence reports
Citylitics’ vision is a world where data drives Trillions of dollars of societal infrastructure investment towards the most ideal social, economic, and environmental outcomes.
Who We Are Looking For
We are looking for a product-centric Full Stack Developer who enjoys building both frontends and backends, and has prior exposure to large-scale cloud web services. Reporting to our Software Team Manager and working closely with Product Managers and peer developers, you will play an instrumental role in executing on our ambitious Product Roadmap.
We have developed the largest and fastest growing data platform on North American infrastructure with over 1 Billion public documents from over 31,000 cities and utilities in the US & Canada, triangulated with dozens of government data sources, and refreshed every two weeks. We are now quickly expanding into new industries ranging from public transportation, roads and highways, power, gas, healthcare, waste management, and more. You will make a major impact on the success of our platform as we expand rapidly and unlock new use cases for our users.
Our ideal candidate brings a “do what needs to be done” attitude, has a strong sense of ownership, and thrives in a fast paced development environment. We expect you to be collaborative, solutions-oriented, and a key contributor to our Sprint Planning and Backlog prioritization. You will have gone through at least one end-to-end product development cycle with an aptitude for bringing intuitive user experiences to life. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to take the next step in their career at a purpose-focused, fast-growing startup.
Most of our team is based out of Toronto but we are working remotely due to COVID-19. We are open to fully remote candidates but have a preference for candidates based in Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Austin. We have offices in Toronto, Milwaukee, and Austin.
What You Will Accomplish
- Work closely with a cross-functional team including product managers, developers, client success managers, and intelligence analysts to understand user needs requirements from our data infrastructure and develop solutions to improve product delivery and end-user experience.
- Execute on our Product Roadmap by building & implementing new features and developing solutions to our most pressing technical and user challenges
- Design, implement, build and maintain our large and distributed, high availability microservices, internal tools, user interfaces, and deployment systems
- Live Outside The Box: You are empowered by Team Leaders to seek out and adapt the latest software technologies to develop the functionality that will improve our user experience and product quality.
- The impact you will make extends beyond just the success of our platform but the improvement of the world’s public infrastructure
- Within 7 days: Familiarize yourself with the team, workflow, and deploy the containerized local development environment to your machine
- Within 30 days: See features through from conceptualization to deployment while maintaining a high standard of quality
- Within 90 days: Understand our internal and external users and develop a voice to advocate for them during Product and Development planning, review existing standards and suggests improvements and changes, shape the direction of our application
Our Tech Stack
- Backend: A Django Application serves our frontend and APIs. A Kubernetes cluster for our data ingestion and processing which feeds a MySQL database and an Elasticsearch cluster.
- Infrastructure: We deploy a number of Docker containers to the Google Cloud Platform and use various services like Cloud Vision, Cloud Functions, and Cloud Pub/Sub. Our deployments are coordinated with Jenkins. Logs are maintained via Kibana.
- At least 2 years of production quality code at scale
- Degree in a Computer Science / Software Engineering field or equivalent practical experience.
- You’re evidence-driven and data-driven. You make decisions because they have shown to be effective and they cater to the people you’re developing for.
- Be comfortable in a quickly changing environment, with a small team and a lot of responsibility.
- A passion for quality, an obsession with automation and a love for writing clean, effective code + documentation.
- A drive to be involved in the entire development cycle, from planning through monitoring in production.
- While a familiarity with some or all of the above tools and framework is a bonus, previous experience is not required. A familiarity with the underlying principles of agile software development in a production environment would be the key focus.
- An understanding of effective testing strategies and how to develop automated integration and deployment pipelines
- This is a rare opportunity to influence positive change within one of the biggest societal challenges of our generation (infrastructure – from water to transport to energy and more).
- You get to support a disruptive solution with a compelling value proposition into an industry that is eager to hear from you and in a market with no direct competition.
- We live at the cross-section of infrastructure, startup and data science. We are a unique team focused on a unique opportunity.
- There is no corporate bureaucracy here. You will accomplish more here in a few months than what you would in a few years at a large, entrenched technology company.
- Perks include company-paid transportation, health & fitness benefits, a training budget and work-from-wherever days in addition to your competitive salary and incentive plan.
- Receive direct exposure to Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Tech Entrepreneurship and Infrastructure Markets from our in-house subject matter experts and industry titans.
- We work hard. We win together. We are on a mission to solve the world’s infrastructure needs. We enjoy happy-hour patios and social events (though virtually these days!). We believe our team diversity makes us the best we can be!
Application Deadline is March 31, 2021 – but candidates will be selected for interviews on a rolling basis.