Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers tens of thousands of businesses around the world! The orchestration team owns and operates AWS Step Functions, which provides AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure that makes it easy to coordinate the components of distributed applications and microservices using visual workflows. Building applications from individual components that each perform a discrete function lets you scale and change applications quickly. It’s a core architectural component of the critical systems for Amazon as well as many customers running on AWS.
The Step Functions service and the team is growing fast, and is innovating in big and brand new feature areas. We are looking for a Software Dev Engineer to design and build an amazing experience for customers who use the Step Functions service. How do you know if you are a good fit for us? You are fascinated by and want to innovate in complex systems that operate at scale. You love customers. When our customers ask for the next big feature, you know this means you’ll be able to truly dig into the solution and get it done right. You love owning the project from idea to production, delivering not only in the implementation but in all phases from the kernel of an idea to quickly getting that battle-tested code into production. You enjoy collaborating with your teammates. You love working in agile programming environments and running fast to deliver evolution for your AWS services.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 5+ years professional experience in software development
• Experience with modern programming languages (Java, C#, Python) and open-source technologies.
• Experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and problem solving
• Experience designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, sense of ownership, urgency and drive
• Able to work in a diverse team
• MS in Computer Science.
• 3+ years of experience in developing user experience centric applications,
• Experience leading and mentoring junior engineers on good software development practices and design reviews.
• Attuned design sense so can collaborate with UX designers and hold a high bar with “backend” SDE’s.
• Experience with CI/CD in a frontend context.
• Experience establishing and leveraging web analytics.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.