Maple Leaf Foods
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
This entry level Finance position is centered around preparing JE’s, GL account analysis and reporting but also requires significant amounts of time spent supporting staff with finance processes and providing vacation relief for invoicing and exports, yield reporting, livestock settlement and inventory accounting.
Providing vacation relief for logistics involves long days with no absences and will exceed two months per year. The role begins with an extended time submerged in logistics and regulatory requirements to ensure thorough knowledge required for vacation relief prior to moving into the Finance role.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Compose and post Journal entries
- Prepare Balance sheet account reconciliations monthly
- Track and ensure outstanding items in reconciliations are cleared within 2 months
- Prepare weekly and monthly vitals reports
- Track government assistance payments and submit to finance, if applicable
- Other reporting as required
Accounting & Controls (35% – 40%)
- Provide accounting support to other Office Staff
- Review Overhead expenses for materials usage and comparison to plan
- Review Overhead expenses accuracy and completeness (expense account analysis)
- Assist in cost forecasts and Budget preparation
- Regulate packaging and maintenance cycle counts
- Process direct post invoices
- Supplier Invoice processing follow up when needed
- Coordinate activities with Maintenance
- Perform quarterly C3 inventory control audits to ensure compliance to MLF standards
- Create remediation measures to ensure compliance
- Monitor remediate measures if items are non-compliant
Vacation relief (20-25%)
- About 60 days per year of vacation relief is providing base transactional data that cannot be deferred. Finished Goods movements to 3PL and invoicing with logistics. Hog settlement with Producers and carcass movements in SAP with yield reporting.
- Logistics position
- Create health certificates
- Provide information to MLF Japan, MLF international group and International Customers
- Print out invoices and bills of lading for customers
- Ensure regulatory requirements of Importing Countries are met and documented accurately on the proper forms
- Assign freight costs to loads
- Cost Analyst/Live procurement position
- Create purchase orders and invoices for hog producers
- Manually enter production transactions in SAP daily
- Provide yield information to management & supervisors
- Analyze inventory and make inventory adjustments as needed
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at [email protected] . Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.