Field Infrastructure Analyst
Who are we?
Founded in 1924, Irving Oil is a family-owned international refining and marketing company with a history of long-term partnerships and relationships. With operations throughout Eastern Canada, New England and Ireland we focus on delivering quality products and exceptional service to our customers and our communities. Every day, we strive to put our good energy in action to bring families together, support the environment and local wildlife, and to create learning opportunities that empower the next generation.
Here’s what you can expect from us:
When you’re a part of our team, you’ll see how we bring good energy to all that we do. At Irving Oil, we strive for a work environment where each of us feels we belong, can bring our whole selves to work, and where we treat our fellow employees with kindness and respect. Together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the communities where we live and work. Our collaborative approach, safety-first culture and commitment to building resilient teams helps reinforce our internal brand position where People Matter. That’s why we’re dedicated to investing in our employees’ potential, so that they can reach their career goals.
What you can expect in a typical day
As a Field Infrastructure Analyst for Irving Oil’s IT team, you will use your considerable knowledge of networking and troubleshooting abilities to monitor, analyze, and report on availability of critical business systems including performance and service stability for our natural gas plants, refinery, terminals, retail and fleet locations. Based out of our Home Office location in Saint John, NB, you will split your time between being in the office and lab and working on-site at various locations. This position is considered safety sensitive so our recruiting process will include a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Solid background in networking; you understand the connectivity of various types of hardware, software, applications, middleware, etc.
- Background in server and desktop operating system configuration and operation.
- Monitor network performance for alerts, bottlenecks, connectivity, capacity, and utilization.
- Troubleshoot any activities or concerns related to networking and servers and find resolutions quickly.
- Work with vendors to install various network devices, camera systems, data circuits, cabling, component cabinets and servers. Oversee vendor performance as required.
- Test, debug, and analyze performance for new installs as well as regular maintenance.
- Keep documentation on network design up-to-date.
- Report on status and activity metrics as required, e.g. delivery of IT services, planned and unplanned outages, and other key performance metrics.
- Work with IT security, network and server teams to perform secure configurations on servers and network infrastructure, be proactive in mitigating security threats.
- Coordinate after-hours maintenance windows.
- Able to work in an on-call rotation.
- Work on other IT projects as required.
- Strong knowledge of networking and servers.
- Strong analytical skills to troubleshoot issues with hardware and software.
- A positive attitude towards and deeply curious aptitude for resolving problems at the root cause level.
- Sense of urgency with a customer service mindset.
- Able to bend, stoop, crawl, lift up to 40lbs, and climb ladders up to 50′.
- A willingness to learn and cross-train on new technologies.
- Travel up to 30% (primarily in NB and NS but occasional travel within Canada and the U.S. may be required).
Education and experience
- Post-secondary education in IT, Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a directly related role.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working hands-on with networking and troubleshooting in an IT infrastructure analyst role.
- Field experience a definite asset.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
Job Requirements – Work Experience
Job Requirements – Education
Diploma / Certification: Information Technology
Saint John, NB