Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Working with a small entrepreneurial team within the Wattpad Labs business unit, you will help pave the way for new, non-text, forms of storytelling. We know that reading books and watching films are popular forms of entertainment, but we also know there are other mediums and we’re actively exploring these formats with our audience, ie, audio, interactive fiction, merchandise, and more. Leveraging the feedback from our community and through data, we have an early look at shifting trends in pop culture, and use this to adapt stories for the big screen or physical books. Wattpad is a place where readers get to escape with their heroes and writers get to express themselves and find opportunities to monetize their craft. The work on Wattpad Labs has a big vision, there will be lots of experimentation, and we’re building on a massive scale, if you’re not afraid to try new things, this is your next role!
We are looking for a Full Stack Engineer to play an important role in Wattpad Labs with this new greenfield project. Wattpad runs on a large distributed system that handles 45k requests every second. Our Frontend is React/ Backbone. Our monolith is written in PHP and backed by S3, Redis, Memcache, MySQL and Cloudflare. Our microservices are written in Go and are backed by S3, DynamoDB and MySQL. At our scale, caching is paramount so we have multiple terabytes of data across memcache and redis. We build microservices in Go and maintain a PHP backend, and build on the latest technologies on Web, iOS and Android.
This cross-functional makeup of product, design and a mobile engineer will be hugely experimental and will iterate frequently on the scope of work across Labs.
What you’ll be doing:
- Scale our new audio initiative, “text-to-speech” across all platforms on Wattpad
- Working across audio and interactive fiction (ie, storytelling games) as key areas of exploration for the next 12 months
- Experiment with complex and groundbreaking new technical environments (ie, audio storytelling with social elements, collaborative interactive fiction, and other new product concepts)
- Contributing ideas during brainstorming and discovery to build new methods of storytelling
- Plan collaboratively, and drive innovation with a multi-functional team
- Communicate with technical and non-technical audiences alike
- Contribute towards continuous improvement across our data and engineering team
- Practice agile principles, delivering experiences to our users continuously
What we’re looking for:
- You’re skilled in backend in Go, PHP, Python on AWS, and with React, Backbone, Angular, PHP on Web
- Desire to help shape product evolution with new formats
- Like learning new things within and outside of technology: technical challenges, product ideas, business models
- Self-starter who is comfortable working with ambiguity
- Experience building and iterating on greenfield projects from the ground up
- A hands on approach to innovation with comfort adapting and building across a variety of technologies with minimal direction
- Excited by new technology and emerging consumer trends
- A passion for storytelling and creativity of expression
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
**Update: Wattpad is still actively hiring for this role! We are a robust and growing business; our search for new talent continues.**
Due to the current state with COVID-19, Wattpad will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody’s need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
We also want to respect our team’s personal needs and capacity for professional commitments during this time; consequently our pace for the interviewing process might be impacted.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.