Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost.
With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we’re looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
Read our Culture Manual to learn more about us and how we work.
About the Role
Wealthsimple Trade is Canada’s first and only commission-free stock trading platform and it is growing at an incredible rate . Trade was recently #1 in both the Apple and Google apps stores and has over 500,000 daily active users. Wealthsimple in general, and Trade specifically, offers one of the most challenging and rewarding work experiences for software engineers in Canada.
The Trade Product team is a full stack engineering team that is responsible for building the core Trade experience across both Mobile and Web. We maintain and build mission critical microservices that support thousands of requests per second and hundreds of thousands of clients per day. We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help scale our platform as we grow, to enhance the product by delivering amazing user experiences and to support our engineering team.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group learning the foundations of Wealthsimple, our past, present, and future
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns through your work
- Ship a feature to production
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Deliver delightful product experiences across Web and Mobile
- Build new features at scale – our services handles thousands of requests per second. Maintaining system stability is critical to our mission
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced
- Work closely with product to manage weekly sprint priorities and the future roadmap
- Form opinions about our existing systems architecture. You’ll be able to provide input that shapes these areas
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Automate and optimize our daily operations to reduce operational burden on on-call engineers and Client Success
- Help architect the next stage of Wealthsimple’s systems, supporting millions of clients
- Coach people in their current roles to improve performance and prepare them for future roles
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Work with our Product and Design teams to plan and scope our roadmap of new product features
- Continue to grow and mentor a team of talented full stack engineers
- Set organizational standards and influence our engineering culture
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX
We’re looking for someone who:
- Brings experience working with some of our core technologies: React, React Native, NodeJS, Ruby on Rails, and GraphQL
- Has experience leading software development teams and a proven dedication to mentoring and coaching other developers. We are a growing team and we strive to ensure shared growth and success!
- Has exceptional communication skills. You can communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical teams and can articulate your stance in a manner that effectively communicates why a solution could be the best way forward
- Is comfortable analyzing system dashboards and metrics to identify areas of concern in a system
- Brings demonstrated experience with micro-services and distributed systems at scale
- Is a lifelong learner. You’re constantly seeking and welcoming feedback to continue improving yourself and your craft
Our tech stack:
- We have a service oriented architecture with over 100+ services. These services are a mixture of Ruby on Rails, Java/Kotlin, NodeJS and front end UI libraries written in React or React Native
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We have amazing infrastructure & security teams
- We follow best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking, and experimenting
At Wealthsimple, we embrace difference. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life’s best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.