Bring your experience in engineering and business development skills to help shape our business and grow your career!
SNC-Lavalin’s Engineering, Design and Project Management (EDPM) team plans, designs and enables the delivery of complex projects across transportation, energy and infrastructure. Our deep technical expertise combined with broad multidisciplinary capability can be scaled from niche mandates to mega projects. Together we push boundaries and create value as trusted advisors to our clients and partners.
Why join us?
We value teamwork, respect and openness above all else, and we empower our people to grow and learn. Join us, as we work together to provide our clients with innovative, cost-effective, and practical solutions. This position can be based out of our offices in Burnaby, Vancouver or Calgary and reports to the Manager, Shared Services, Proposals Group.
How will you contribute to the team?
The Engineering Business Development Strategist serves as “cheerleader” for the pursuit by developing plans and themes for proposals to lead the EDPM group’s strategic and high-dollar-value pursuits. You will lead the effort to identify differentiators and win themes, pre-positioning, direct client interface, storyboard, and provide client presentations and written proposals and proposal oversight to make sure the proposal reflects the strategy. You also work with the pursuit team to provide interview prep and coaching, corporate review compliance, and pursuit budgeting & monitoring. You will also:
- Drive and hold responsibility for strategy development
- Participate in strategy development, strategic pursuit development, competitor analysis, and market research.
- Identify differentiators and win themes, leads pre-positioning activities, storyboarding, working with the Proposal Manager Provides proposal oversight (storyboarding and reviews) to ensure that the proposal reflects the strategy. May write key message-intensive sections such as the Cover Letter or Executive Summary.
- Participate in preparing and monitoring pursuit budgets.
- Direct all aspects of the pursuit capture activities in accordance with an established capture process.
- Lead specific critical pursuit directly, if requested.
- Maintain and nurture relationship with marketing resources, BU Directors, BU Business Development (BD), Regional BD, BU managers, technical professionals and proposal managers.
- Coordinate across business units to build a team that can produce a compliant, winning solution.
- Participate in capture update calls/reviews with senior/executive management and ensure all assigned opportunities are kept current in our tracking system.
- Ensure the pursuit team conforms to internal stage gate reviews, to include scheduling the necessary reviews to receive approval for qualifications and/or proposal/pricing submissions.
- Attend business unit and strategy groups meetings as requested/directed.
- Provide strategic market sector positioning assistance as directed.
- Facilitate progress meetings and drives pursuit team accountability (including subconsultants).
- Manage project capture plan action plans/schedules.
- Participate in proposal reviews (e.g., pink, red, gold) and be responsible to ensure the strategy is reflected into the proposal.
- Develop and/or support presentation strategy, support materials and visuals; coordinate and critique rehearsals and presentations.
- Assist with building capture skills of other team members.
- Work across geographies and markets in Canada.
- Travel when required to build team and relationships (suspended during COVID-19).
- Perform such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time as necessary.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s degree along with previous experience working in the infrastructure engineering industry, in addition to experience in marketing and business development.
- Minimum ten years of relevant experience, with at least five of these managing pursuits valued at $5 million+
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills, together with a high level of interpersonal and communication skills. Outgoing, self-starter with innate sales orientation, optimism and drive. Ability to facilitate teams. Experience in writing proposals, making client presentations and coaching.
- The ideal candidate has a minimum of 10 years of experience in Engineering marketing, some business development or client management experience.
- Ability to lead and challenge large teams, think strategically, know the Engineering marketplace, write well, coach interview teams and know how to win in the Engineering industry.