Who we are:
Geotab is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Marketplace, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
Who are you:
The Embedded Systems Developer is primarily responsible for designing, writing, and testing C, C++, and Rust code for Geotab’s GO telematics devices.
What you’ll do:
The Embedded Systems Developer maintains and improves testing tools and processes, ensuring that new releases perform as expected.Part of this role involves collaborating with other embedded systems developers, engineers, and internal technical teams in determining the architecture and constraints of the project.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the GO device firmware and how all the modules work
- Perform firmware development in the required area of expertise (modem, GPS, vehicle data, security, etc) using C, C++ and Rust as per the development standards
- Write unit tests and perform integration and system-level testing in both real and simulated vehicles, to demonstrate that new features meet design requirements.
- Write SQL queries and Python scripts on data from Google BigQuery to determine device health and effectiveness of new functionality
- Conduct comprehensive testing and code reviews to ensure that industry coding standards are followed.
- Debug firmware issues and identify areas for code improvements
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all areas of responsibility.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- 3-5 years experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems
- Strong knowledge of programming languages (C/C++/C# ) in an embedded software context.
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets.
- Experience working with encryption or cryptographic modules.
- Understanding of underlying electronics to the point where it influences firmware development and debugging.
- Experience with SQL.
- Familiar with data structures, algorithms, and design patterns common to embedded (resource-constrained) systems development.
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components.
- Able to research and solve open-ended design problems.
- Experience working within a technical or engineering organization, with knowledge of the high-technology/telematics industry is an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate and document complex technical systems and decisions.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure and respond to multiple fast changing priorities.
- Strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable in a flat organization.
- Well versed in modern scripting languages (e.g. bash, Python, TCL, etc.) is highly valued
- Experience programming in Rust is highly valued.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits (full-time employees only)
Retirement savings program (full-time employees only)
How we work:
At Geotab, we understand that the world is always changing and that we need to change with it. Geotab has adopted a hybrid model for working, including a flexible work from home program, with the opportunity to work in our safe, clean offices. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Remote work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
Geotab encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Geotab is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities throughout the interview, selection and employment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at [email protected] Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.