Ciena Canada, Inc.
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world – picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
What will you do at Ciena?
ThePacket Optical TransportPlatform software groupis seeking an engineer experienced in designing and developing embedded telecommunications software. Focus would be on developing real time embedded software in C/C++ on the Linux and VxWorks Operating System.The desired candidateshould have strong software engineering skills and experience with telecommunication technologies such as Ethernet, IP, MPLS. Prior experience with any Packet Optical Switching application would be highly desirable.
- Develop embeddedC/C++ software on Ciena 6500 family of optical switches, including enhancementstoexisting software, development of new features, and support of new hardware
- Participate in all stages of software development, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, and maintenance
- Troubleshoot software issues and work with software and system engineers to identify the root cause
- Help investigate and collect information to resolve process or design issues found on a current design or in previous designs
- Identify software performance improvements through test driven development, automated unit testing, and comprehensive integration testing.
- Strong fundamentalembeddedoperating system concepts
- Familiaritywith hitless software upgrades of embedded Telecom systems
- Experiencewith enhancements required to improve system-level robustnessin order tosupport large scale networks
- Familiaritywithsome orall ofthe following transport and/or data technologies -Packet networking, Layer-2, VLAN, MPLS, Layer-3 Routing, L3 VPN, SegmentRouting andSwitching, TCP/IP, Ethernet (100GbE, 10GbE)
- Comfortable debugging complex system/platform issues.
- Independent self-starter and committed to delivering on aggressive deadlines
- Comfortable in a team environment with ability towork withlittle supervision
- Must be fast learner with excellentembedded softwaredebugging skills
- Effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Experiencewith developinghigh performance, fault tolerant, highly availableC/C++applicationsoftware on multi-processor, highly concurrent systemsin data networking domain
- Good knowledge of mutual exclusion, synchronization, interrupt handling, inter-process communication,memory management, multi-threading,Linux and VxWorks OS utilities and system calls
- Minimum 3 years’ experience focused on embedded software.
- Bachelor of Computer Science or equivalentdegree (Masters preferred)
Cienais a network strategy and technology companywith apassion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome.We attract the best and brightest- those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering theirpassion and purpose. We trusteach individualto do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world.With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking businesspractices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries.Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Cienais also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measuresrequiredforyou to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.