David Aplin Group, one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, has partnered with our client to recruit for a Director RD&E – Canadian Operations. Please note this role is located in Calgary, Alberta, and will require relocation, with assistance provided.
This individual will head the Research, Development, and Engineering group for the Canadian Business Unit. The candidate will be responsible for leading the development and deployment of innovative technology solutions to achieve the business objectives by building sustainable technology advantages that deliver margin expansion and top-line growth. This individual will be a senior leader within the global Chemical Technologies RD&E management team and will receive program direction from the Vice President RD&E and General Manager Canada. This position will report to the Vice President RD&E for Chemical Technologies.
This position is based in Calgary, Canada, and will be responsible for leading the regional technology team of 30+ scientists and engineers in laboratories located in Calgary and in Edmonton. Additionally, this individual will work in close collaboration with global business, RD&E and marketing counterparts in other global laboratory locations to ensure global connectivity.
Job Overview :
This role requires a people-oriented leader with strong business acumen and a track record of success working in a global, matrixed, cross-functional environment. Must be able to integrate multiple technologies in formulating technology strategies for a variety of production technology areas. The candidate will have to be adept in working in collaboration with business leaders in understanding the needs of our customers for new solutions and balancing short- and long-term requirements of the business with the need to drive sustainable innovation. In addition, the incumbent will be expected to partner with sales leadership and establish influential relationships with customers, key opinion leaders and relevant trade organizations.
The upstream production chemicals market is a critical growth area and we have excellent technologies and the leading global franchise. We are looking for an innovative leader with a strategic vision to advance market opportunities incorporating enabling technologies such as new delivery systems, sensors and leveraging data analytics/digital connectivity to complement our deep chemical expertise in our future value propositions to our customers.
- Owns the operational safety of the Canadian RD&E Organization. Embeds a culture of safety throughout their team and ensures that all activities are performed in a manner that conforms to company safety and regulatory requirements and policies. Reinforces the company safety culture and holds personnel accountable for good safety practice. Focuses on achieving our goal of zero harm to personnel and to the environment.
- Develops organizational talent and succession plans and provides ongoing coaching and mentoring for staff. Owns the strategy for the team and organizational development, including safety and employee engagement.
- LeadstheCanadianRD&E Organizationtomeet the businessgrowthandoperational objectives. a. Developsand drivestechnologyroadmapfor the Canadian productionchemicals business in collaborationwithmarketing counterpartsandaligns resources to ensure profitable growth andoptimal global resource/spend leverage.
- Builds and deploys a strategy to ensure resources with required technical and leadership skillsaredeployed effectivelyand globally,in alignment with businessgrowth priorities.
- Supports the portfolio management process to ensure innovation pipeline meets business growth targets and ensures commercial effectiveness within new and modified products metrics. Manages resource allocations to support the current business and new product projects from ideation to successful launch execution.
- Supports the new ideation process and ensures new concepts are prioritized and tied to customer requirements. Ensures global and cross-divisional opportunities are considered with established global communication paths for improved leverage across priority geographies, customer segments, and accounts.
- Drives the execution phases of new product development initiatives, developing organizational competencies in project management for continuous improvement.
- Leads customer technical support operation, ensuring resources are prioritized on highest-value opportunities and high-quality output is maintained.
- WorkscloselywithSupplyChain andMarketingfunctionstomaximizeoperational innovationthroughthedevelopment of ValueChain Optimization.
- ParticipatesonCanadian Leadership Teamprovidingtechnical counsel ontechnology advancements, new productand serviceopportunities,andimprovementsin operational/organizational efficiencies and productivity. Member of Chemical TechnologiesRD&ELeadership team,drivingenhancementstoimprove the overallreturn onR&D investment.
- Responsible for environmental and regulatory compliance and maintains awareness of current and pending regulatory changes.
- Activelyworkswith key customerstounderstandtechnical challengesandindustrydirectionand ensuresresources are alignedto deliveroncommitments.
- Ensuresthedevelopmentandutilityof the intellectual property, throughpatent filings, tradesecrets, and the support of technical notebooksandreports.
- Ensuresongoingexternal awareness of technology,competitors,andemergingand disruptive opportunities.
- Represents the companyto keycustomers,academia, andtradeorganizations. Establishes an active leadership role inkey external organizations.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Advanced degree in chemistry, engineering, biology, or related scientific/technical discipline required. Ph.D. preferred.
- Ten or more years of relevant experience including technology strategy development & implementation,leading& developingteams, anddrivinginnovation.
- Requires a track record of successful technology development, new product/service launch, and leveraging of external technology.
- Excellentcommunicationskillsand the abilityto engagewell with customerstotranslatetheir needs intoeffective programs.
- Significantexperienceoperating inglobaltechnical and businessenvironments.
- Proven track record of global organization development. Agile change agent skills.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above criteria, please click the Apply button to send your resume in confidence directly to Rob Thomas , Consultant, Aplin Engineering & Technical. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
WE APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST IN DAVID APLIN GROUP.
If this is your first introduction to us, we invite you to become one of our satisfied candidates. David Aplin Group has been Canadian-owned since 1975. Our professional consultants are passionate about helping you find a fulfilling job or career and ensuring your complete satisfaction with our process. Our proven track record, over 4 decades long, is largely due to our team of highly skilled and successful specialists. Through superior service and a commitment to long-term relationships, we provide deep specialization in core areas for complete recruiting and HR solutions across Canada – all from one source. We look forward to exceeding your expectations!
Learn more about David Aplin Group and view all of our current job opportunities, career tips, and tools at www.aplin.com. #LI-DNP #IND-DNP