George Weston Limited
22 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M4T 2S7
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
George Weston Limited is a Canadian public company, founded in 1882. George Weston has three operating segments: Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada’s largest food and drug retailer and a provider of financial services, Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, Canada’s largest and preeminent diversified REIT, and Weston Foods, one of North America’s leading producers of quality baked goods. With over 200,000 employees working at George Weston and its operating segments, the group of companies represents one of Canada’s largest private sector employers.
We need a seasoned, creative and collaborative communication professional to help keep our colleagues informed of all the great pensions & benefits programs and initiatives we have underway and that’s why we are looking for a Director, Pensions & Benefits Communication to join our team, supporting George Weston Limited and our operating segments.
This is a 12 month contract
- Lead the development of the pensions & benefits communications strategy for employee programs across the enterprise.
- Establish strong working relationships with leaders and key partners from our various operating companies.
- Oversee communication plans of pensions & benefits programs; maintain consistency in the approach to communication across the enterprise, but, simultaneously customize messaging based on the audience. Leverage digital platforms and curated solutions where possible.
- Deliver engaging internal communication plans in support of our employee pensions & benefits programs; this can include hyping our enrolment and awareness campaigns and also creating colleague ambassadors where appropriate.
- Roll up your sleeves to manage and deliver all aspects of a number of corporate communication tactics, including departmental town halls, annual conferences, video segments, newsletters, executive speeches, external presentations, intranet articles, all company announcements, and more.
- Foster a continuous improvement mindset within the department, by effectively measuring the impact and success of communication efforts and adjusting wherever necessary.
- Act as a guardian of our internal brand standards. This includes managing our internal tone of voice based on the message at play.
- Manage crisis communication plans, as needed.
- 10+ years of related experience, primarily in internal communication, doing most if not all of the things noted above.
- University degree, with specialization in English, Communication, Public Relations or a related discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, a belief in plain language, and an ability to write in various styles and formats.
- Track record of planning and executing strategic communication plans that drive measurable business results.
- In-depth understanding of internal communications principles and practices.
- Proven ability to support and counsel senior leaders; strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience with script development and video production.
- Determine appropriate subject matter for various events and campaigns as necessary.
- Advanced knowledge of, and experience using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word and PowerPoint).
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to adapt to change and meet timelines (without sacrificing quality!).
- A positive attitude, a desire to learn, a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get work done either independently or as part of a team.
- Assets: bilingualism, experience in the healthcare industry, and a sense of humour.
A little more about George Weston Limited
George Weston is committed to creating value for its shareholders and employees, and to supporting the communities in which it operates. To deliver long-term value to its shareholders, George Weston employs various operating strategies. Loblaw is committed to delivering industry-leading financial results through data-driven insights and process and efficiency excellence. Choice Properties’ strategy is to grow and manage its portfolio and cash flow by leveraging its sizable base of assets, its relationship with Loblaw and its solid capital structure, and Weston Foods is committed to offering innovative and superior products and unmatched services to its consumers and customers.
Loblaw is Canada’s food and pharmacy leader with a network of corporate and independently operated stores in communities across the country. Loblaw’s purpose – Live Life Well – supports the needs and well-being of Canadians who make one billion visits each year to the company’s stores. Loblaw is positioned to meet and exceed those needs in many ways, offering: convenient grocery locations that span the value spectrum from discount to specialty, full-service pharmacies, banking services, affordable fashion and family apparel, digital retail presence, four of Canada’s top consumer brands in President’s Choice®, Life Brand®, no name® and Farmers Market®, as well as Canada’s leading loyalty program, PC Optimum.
Choice Properties REIT is a large and diversified owner, manager and developer of a high-quality real estate portfolio comprising over 700 properties. The Choice Properties portfolio is comprised of retail properties, predominantly leased to necessity-based tenants, industrial, office and residential assets concentrated in attractive markets and offers an impressive and substantial development pipeline. Choice Properties’ strategic alliance with its principal tenant, Loblaw Companies Limited, the country’s leading retailer, is a key competitive advantage providing long-term growth opportunities.
Weston Foods is a leading North American bakery company whose purpose is: Elevating Everyday Moments. The business is steeped in a rich 137-year history that has helped it become an innovative and trusted leader in the industry. Weston Foods is driven to constantly improve its products and to deliver feel-good moments to consumers.
George Weston Limited recognizes Canada’s diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Number of Openings
Please Note: If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application