You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
As one of Sun Life Canada’s largest business units, Insurance Solutions is responsible for designing and distributing leading-edge life and health insurance products to over 2 million individual retail clients across Canada.
Reporting to the AVP, Innovation and Analytics, the Director, Actuarial Analytics (Data Science) will lead actuarial research and advanced analytics initiatives within Insurance Solutions. This role presents a unique opportunity to bring together actuarial skills, data science skills, and strategic thinking to solve problems creatively and support innovation.
The ideal candidate is an actuary (ASA/FSA/FCIA) with 3+ years of recent predictive analytics / machine learning experience.
- Drive development of key segments for Insurance Solutions by performing underlying actuarial research and analysis on market, pricing and risk
- Lead a team of actuaries and data scientists to apply predictive analytics and machine learning to generate new insights and solve business problems
- Act as a thought partner with pricing and product development leaders to ensure we establish strategies to maintain or improve market share while continuing to drive profitable sales
- Work with external parties such as reinsurers and advisors to explore and design innovative solutions
- Partner with leaders across Insurance Solutions to identify opportunities for improvement and innovation in product and pricing areas
- FSA or near-FSA or equivalent actuarial experience working with individual life insurance products
- 3+ years of recent experience with predictive analytics and machine learning
- Knowledge in one or more programming languages (Python/R) and comfortable writing SQL queries to extract and integrate data from complex data sources
- Extensive knowledge of machine learning and deep learning tools and concepts, including applications in NLP
- Superior technical, analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to think creatively and approach challenges from many angles
- Excellent communication skills, able to collaborate with business partners and present to senior management
Nice to have:
- Background in actuarial functions; pricing, valuation, actuarial research and analytics
- Proficiency in Moody/GGY AXIS
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to [email protected] .
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
102,500/102 500 – 169,200/169 200
Posting End Date: