Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Technology works as a strategic partner with Morgan Stanley business units and the world’s leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global, complex, and dynamic financial markets.
Morgan Stanley’s sizeable investment in technology results in quantitative trading systems, cutting-edge modelling and simulation software, comprehensive risk and security systems, and robust client-relationship capabilities, plus the worldwide infrastructure that forms the backbone of these systems and tools. Our insights, our applications and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients’ businesses-and to our own.
Corporate and Funding Technology is comprised of three primary areas: Operations & Risk, Corporate and Client Financing.
– Operations & Risk helps the Firm’s businesses while maintaining a strong risk profile. The group includes Operations, Funding, Finance and Risk Technology.
– Corporate improves our operating environment and is made up of Legal, Compliance & Corporate Governance, Digital & Corporate Communications and Human Resources Technology groups.
– Client Financing platforms provide technology and service to our hedge fund and Asia high-net-worth clients. Groups include Prime Brokerage, Private Wealth Management Asia and Counterparty Risk Technology.
DevOps Reliability Engineering is a production-oriented discipline focused on improving service availability, latency, scalability, performance, and efficiency for technology products in Morgan Stanley. Our core infrastructure processes hundreds of millions of transactions and we serve assets of more than a trillion dollars daily. If this scale resonates with you, come join us.
We are transforming ourselves to grow SRE teams as part of our expansion.
We would like to talk to you if you:
– Are interested in distributed systems and working with highscale services.
– Like to work in a fast-moving environment and you aren’t afraid to change things to make them better.
– Enjoy new technological challenges and solving hard problems.
– Believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team.
– Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
– Have Grit, drive and a deep feeling of ownership.
– You will use your expertise to tune and push our systems beyond their normal limit.
– You will work closely with engineering/development teams to design, build, and maintain systems and help them decide on products to use, schema design and query tuning.
– You will troubleshoot issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, application and network.
– You will mentor other SREs on standard methodology for everything from monitoring to troubleshooting complex code and database issues.
– You will identify and drive opportunities to improve automation for the company; scope and create automation for deployment, management and visibility of our services.
– You will need to spend 50% of your time on and around production support.
– Represent the SRE organization in design reviews and operational readiness exercises for new and existing services.
– Participate in on-call rotation and periodic conference calls with other specialists from other time zones.
Skills Required :
– Background in Computer Science equivalent to a B.Sc. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute
– 4+ years of experience in a similar role.
– Awareness of, and ability to reason about modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes generally, micro services, and so on.
– Any experience on automation/configuration management systems like Puppet, Chef, Ansible is an advantage.
– Experience in software development: automation-related experience valued in particular. Scripting languages such as bash, python, ruby, or compiled languages such as C, C#, JAVA, Scala and Go are most relevant but others are acceptable.One higher level language is desired.
– Deep understanding of operating system level concepts such as processes, memory allocation, and the network stack; understanding of how applications are affected by the above, and ability to debug same.
– Generally speaking, practical experience running large scale online systems is always an advantage.
Skills Desired :
– Experience with source code and binary repositories, build tools, and CI/CD (Git, Artifactory, Jenkins, Docker) etc and data streaming technologies like Spark, Kafka etc.
– Hands on experience on enterprise tools set such as Grafana, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and BMC etc.
Knowledge of French and English is required.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential.
Spotlight on our Montreal Technology Centre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5GaXpCwKs
*Video dated October 2019.