Position: Senior DevOps Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3-5 years of experience in a DevOps role
Education: BSc or MSc in Computer Science or equivalent.
About the Job:
We are looking for a passionate Senior DevOps Engineer with a strong desire to lead and develop an exceptional AWS Cloud for Nicoya’s products and portals. You will work internally across functional teams within Nicoya, including Product Management, Sales and Marketing, and Product Development to ensure all stakeholder requirements are captured within the cloud architecture and design. You will work with external design firms to provide design guidance and leadership. Our ideal candidate has a college degree, at least 5 years of work experience in DevOps preferably in a scientific instrumentation development company. Experience working at a small, fast-growing company is an asset.
Who you are:
Working on the product development team, you are responsible for developing and improving the AWS Cloud for our products. You drive for a complete and efficient design that is highly functional, maintainable, scalable, and secure.
What you will do:
- You will serve as subject matter and technical resource to architect and develop the AWS infrastructure solution for the Nicoya’s products cloud.
- Use your hands-on experience with a wide range of AWS services, including RDS, ElastiCache, Kinesis, SQS, EC2. And advise on architectural decisions for these services through a deep understanding of systems internals. Provide strong intuition around designing and maintaining data stores a plus.
- Build automation to execute common operations on various AWS services such as software upgrades, data migrations, and instance rotation. Build tooling to aid in introspection and debugging for internal clients.
- Manage aspects of the internal clients’ relationship to these services, including provisioning, monitoring, security, connectivity.
- Work with external DevOps resource to Maintain AWS Cloud Infrastructure in an optimal configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives
- Help build the DevOps team
- You will Automate software testing at multiple levels (component, configuration item, subsystem, system) and monitor results.
- Leverage experience to evaluate new offerings from AWS to advise and drive adoption to internal clients.
- Design solutions that drive measurable business objectives (usually applications based feature development).
- Bring inspiring and creative ideas into an energetic and collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of work experience
- Experience working with AWS
- Working knowledge of MongoDB or similar NoSQL
- Experience with client-side MVC Frameworks (such as AngularJS, Vue-js, React) is a plus
- Experience with Atlassian products (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- Possess proven troubleshooting skills
- Work effectively as a member within an agile Scrum team.
- Experience with Git repositories
- Have a good understanding of “DevOps” culture
- Be curious, detail oriented, and analytical, with a proven ability to learn quickly
- Be customer-focused, team-oriented, and motivated, taking ownership of assigned tasks
- Have proven ability to self-manage, as well as manage interdisciplinary relationships
- Have proven verbal and written communication skills
- Experience helping business units understand the costs of ongoing operations and services, and factoring these costs into developing a lean, performant architecture.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrates passion for problem solving and outside-the-box thinking
Nicoya’s mission is to improve human life by helping scientists succeed. We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing company with a worldwide presence based in Kitchener, Ontario – Canada’s Silicon Valley. We have a team of world-class engineers, and scientists, building disruptive products to help researchers make their next big discovery. Our newest product, Alto, is a scientific instrument for the biotechnology research and drug discovery industry. It provides detailed information on molecular interactions using optical nanosensor technology known as localized surface plasmon resonance (SPR). It is the first SPR instrument on the market to incorporate Digital Microfluidics technology which has disrupted an industry that has been primarily dominated by highly expensive and complex instrumentation. We recently raised $10 million in Series A funding to boost development, sales and marketing initiatives for Alto.
Nicoya is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know. We will accommodate your needs as required under applicable legislation. Information related to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially.
In your application, please include your resume along with a cover letter. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for This Job