55 Bloor Street West
Job Family Group:
The Developer will support an application that provides securities safekeeping and custodial services to TPS (Treasury Payment Services) customers in the US for BMO Harris Bank. Services supported by the application include trade settlement, securities holding, P&I and various corporate action processes.
The developer will be a self started who enjoys problem solving and taking ownership of tasks and issues. The new team member will research issues using both internal and external resources and propose solutions to be discussed with the team. As well making individual contributions the developer will be a team player who shares knowledge and collaborates to help grow themselves and the team.
Understands that the success of a developer is to understand the core business processes of the business unit and business requirements as well as the architecture patterns and technology strategy (e.g., Transformation, SmartCore, DevOps). Conceive and write detailed software implementations/code while ensuring that their code/configurations adhere to the security, logging, error handling, and performance standards and non-functional requirements. Writes, configures, and integrates code to create the software that aligns with architecture patterns and technology strategy. Understands the implications of various components (including technology strategy & architecture) to the overall design of a program, system, or eco-system. Evaluates new technologies for fit with the program/system/eco-system and the associated upstream and downstream impacts on process, data, risk (e.g., security). Works toward the objective of defect free software. Ensures that systems functionally meet requirements, align with architecture and promote the development of common assets. Supports the resolution of production issues and problems. Makes recommendations to improve BMO processes & systems.
• Supports research and development of development frameworks, and definition of standards.
• Leads and implements initiatives as required to deliver business objectives.
• Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
• Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders and ensures alignment.
• Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues.
• Reviews the work of other team members as required.
• Provides input into the planning and implementation of operational programs.
• Decomposes business requirements and translates them into detailed design specifications and code.
• Interacts with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers.
• Assesses the costs and benefits for different solutions and recommend/decide on appropriate designs.
• Designs solutions, writes code, performs unit testing, develops appropriate artefacts / documentation, and facilitates final delivery.
• Supports production issues, includes independently completing root-cause analysis and diagnosis.
• Devises new algorithms and data structures for target environment and platform attributes in alignment with architectural patterns.
• Builds solutions that are supportable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets.
• Recommends or automates approaches to streamline and integrate technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
• Supports the management of specific project deliverables & outcomes.
• Identifies opportunities to strengthen the development capability, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks.
• Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning.
• Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
• Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
• Works independently on a range of complex tasks, which may include unique situations.
• Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
• On Call rotation every few weeks
• Typically 2-4 years of work experience in IT, development and/or B.S./B.A. in computer science, engineering, information systems, math or business
• Proficient level of knowledge in domain.
• Knowledge of software development practices, concepts, and technology obtained through formal training and/or work experience.
• Knowledge of required programming languages and can code with little oversight.
• Knowledge of technical/business environment and processes.
• Understand functional aspects and technical behavior of the underlying operating system, development environment, and deployment practices.
• Have facility with and understanding of the ecosystem that code operates in.
• Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business experience.
• Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
• Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills – In-depth.
• Influence skills – In-depth.
• Data driven decision making – In-depth.
Java JPA or equivalent ORM
Oracle or equivalent (RDBMS)
Struts 1 or equivalent (Java MVC framework)
WebServers (IHS, Apache)
Middleware (MQ, WAS) or equivalent
Nice to have:
Angular (TypeScript, angular-cli, npm)
Java Rest Web Services (JAX-RS)
GIT SCM (BitBucket)
CI/CD (Bamboo and Ansible nice to have)
Financial Industry (Nice to have)
Capital Markets (Nice to have)
Agile Development (Nice to have)
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.