Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
You will help lead a fast-growing team pursuing a vision of analytics’driven mining at Freeport. We collect vast, streaming data sets from our mines around the world by deploying sensor technology and the data infrastructure to support it. Now, we can use the richest data pool in our history to solve complex, meaningful problems. We are seeking a leader with technical depth, an applied research and development mindset and excellent business and communication skills eager to solve real world problems. You will work in close collaboration with miners, subject matter experts, fellow data scientists, research institutions and senior leadership to develop advanced techniques in AI and ML as we work to create a Digital Mine. Candidates for this position must be prepared to oversee multiple project teams, mentor team members, develop training curriculum and work closely with senior leadership.
- Lead the creation of ML and AI solutions. Techniques include ML, NLP, video analytics, streaming analytics, and GPU-accelerated edge computing.
- Apply your skills to test hypotheses and draw insights to support our goal of industry-leading, resource-efficient copper mining.
- Utilize modern cloud technologies, such as Microsoft Azure, to deliver innovative analytics solutions at scale and craft the policies to support them as a thought leader. Employ best practices for containerization, version control, CI/CD, and DevOps/MLOps.
- Help develop industry-leading processes to build, implement, and maintain practical, analytical assets that solve critical business problems. Work with multidisciplinary teams including miners, engineers, technologists, and other SMEs following an Agile methodology.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical engineering or analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or related discipline and eight (8) years of relevant work experience, OR
- Master’s degree in a technical engineering or analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or related discipline and six (6) years of relevant work experience, OR
- Ph.D. in a technical engineering or analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or related discipline and three (3) years of relevant work experience.
- Strong experience in at least two (2) areas of predictive modeling: AI, image/video/audio analytics; ML, tree-based analytics, gradient boosting, NLP; Simulations, reinforcement learning; Time-series analysis, anomaly detection, signal processing.
- Skilled with Python, R and SQL
- Experience with Big Data and cloud tools for machine learning
- Demonstrated thought leadership in developing novel solutions
- Ten (10) years of experience managing personnel
- You are an analytics guru who enjoys grappling with vast data sets, tapped from our long-standing investment in collecting and cleaning data
- You are a quantitative expert who can build complex predictive models and unlock their value through Python, R, SQL and/or other rigorous analytical environments
- You are a seasoned coach who enjoys bringing the best out of junior teammates and invests in their development.
- You have a proven track record of collaborating with business partners to translate operational problems and needs into data-based analytical solutions
- You have the ability to generate insights from a variety of disciplines and industries
- You have experience leading teams of data scientists, applying agile methodology, managing multiple work streams, and developing a strong, diverse, and creative team
- You are a seasoned thought leader, developing and communicating strategic visions with senior leadership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English language
- Travel required up to 50%
- Position is in busy, non-smoking office located in downtown Phoenix, AZ
- Location requires mobility in an office environment; each floor is accessible by elevator
- Occasionally work will be performed in a mine, outdoor or manufacturing plant setting
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand and walk
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to ten (10) pounds
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable State laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Job Segment: Database, Scientific, Scientist, Engineer, Information Systems, Engineering, Technology, Science