We are looking for a Data Modeler to join our growing team of Data and BI experts. Aviva has embarked on a journey to build next generation data platform to support the growing need of data from business intelligence and analytics.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work will primarily focus on creating & developing data models – conceptual, logical and physical.
- Closely interact with business partners, stakeholders, functional experts, business analysts, contractors, and developers to understand the system requirements and architect and design the data model and database schema based on the requirements.
- Prepare data model documentation
- Assist in troubleshooting application problems where data, ETL, and reporting are integral elements
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring the ongoing data quality within the data model
- Understanding of data warehouse principles, experience in designing, developing data warehouse objects
- Understanding and experience with database design and implementation of multi-dimensional models
- Understanding and experience in OLAP, reporting and analytics principles.
- Own the data definitions for all data tables and maintain data lineage
- Work with DBAs on imposing database constraints, indexes, performance tuning for the data models
- Own the data models for various zones in the enterprise data hubs like post ingestion, integration etc.
- Entity Relationship analysis & modeling methodology
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Collaborate with IT Architecture, Product Owners and team to devise data model to suit requirements
- Communicate effectively with no ambiguity during project execution on data model
- Understand and articulate interdependencies, constraints of the data model to Data Engineers, project teams and business teams
- Collaborate with other IT teams, Architecture teams in the organization as required, with vendor teams on an onsite/offshore model
- Understand the functional & technical aspects of Enterprise Data Hubs, data integrations, data warehouses, data marts
- Write queries for data from the Enterprise Data Hub for analysis
- Collaborate with third party vendors for projects
- Work in an Agile Scrum methodology for evolving data model every sprint and deliver incrementally
- 10+ years of experience working as a data modeler for data warehouse & data mart projects
- 7+ years of experience in Insurance Property & Casualty domain
- 3+ years of experience working with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, running data programs, Informatica, BO, Qlickview…)
- An asset to have strong knowledge of insurance industry (Property & Casualty) or Financial Services data models
- Excellent background of working with multiple databases – relational, dimensional, graph, unstructured/file based etc.
- Excellent background in architectural/data modeling work in previous job profiles
- Strong application design and development skills, excellent communication skills with a strong emphasis on conceptualizing and designing architectures.
- Experience with ACORD, IIW or SAS DDS data models will be an asset
- Strong Data Analysis skills
- Strong Data Modeling skills
- Experience working in diverse multicultural environment with different vendors, onsite/offshore vendor teams etc.
- Nice to have 2+ years of experience with AWS data stack (IAM, S3, Kinesis Stream, Kinesis firehose, Lambda, Athena ,Glue, RedShift, EMR)
- Exposure to other cloud platforms such as Azure and GCP acceptable as well
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.