Do you want to be a part of an organization that:
– gives back to the community
– has leadership that inspires, coaches and mentors
– allows you to speak up and be heard
– AND … likes to have FUN?
What about tech? Cutting edge solutions? Big Data and AI? Pelmorex has all of that covered!
Founded in 1989, Pelmorex has become an international weather information and data management company. We own and operate the popular weather brands: The Weather Network, MeteoMedia, Eltiempo.es, Clima and Otempo.pt. We also operate the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination (NAAD) System, which is the technical backbone of Alert Ready, Canada’s Emergency Alerting System.
We have a full time permanent role with a Weather and Data Information Networks company in Oakville. The role is working with various business units on future revenue scenarios, analyzing investments, Merger and Acquisitions, creating presentations, financial modelling, market analysis etc.
As a Data Engineer, you value collaboration and nurture innovation while working on an energetic team. Your strong foundation in data engineering, database design and data analysis will contribute to a data-driven culture.
You are expected to use best practices to identify ways to efficiently collect and store data, deploy data products, and ensure that our data is reliable and accessible. You are an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up.
What’s the Day to Day Look Like?
- Actively contribute to shaping the direction of our data platform including architecting and management our data lake, cloud data warehouse, analytical deployment infrastructure and ETL/ELT workflows
- Collaborate with source system experts, analysts, tech leads and other team members to determine data extraction and transformation requirements
- Gather and understand data requirements by working with stakeholders across multiple teams
- Working closely with Data Governance, IT, and Security to build processes and standards for our data analytics and reporting platform and how it integrates with internal and external data sources
- Develop ingestion, transformation, and cleansing pipelines for a variety of structured and unstructured data sources
- Maintain and enhance our AWS data platform, build new and monitor existing data pipelines as well as managing and improving our cloud cluster
- Create ETL jobs to ingest and move data within the AWS environment using Glue
- Maintain infrastructure to deploy data products to internal and external users
- Providing operational support to the reporting and data analytics team
- Regularly tune and optimize the performance of platform and queries
- Resolve data and pipeline issues
- Unit, integration and stress testing
- Maintain complete system documentation
- Estimate realistic timelines to help prioritize requests on roadmap
- Active multi-tasking, troubleshooting and creatively look for solutions
- On Call availability for after hours support for production issues Proactively identify projects with learnings to share with team to drive departmental learning
- Initiate self-learning to improve overall acumen
- *Roles, responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time.
Qualification Stack (Must Haves) or What will you bring …
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Strong experience in programming languages such as SQL, Python and Spark
- Experience in building and maintaining scalable, repeatable, and secure data pipelines (using Spark, Scala, Python) for data ingestion architecture for batch and real time data streaming
- Experience with cloud technologies (like AWS, Snowflake)Experience in Big Data technologies such as Spark, Python, Airflow, etc.
- Experience in Cloud storage solution such S3, and working with Snowflake data warehouse
- Working Knowledge of NoSQL databases
- Experience in sizing, performance tuning, cost optimization of cloud compute resources (e.g EC2, EMR)
It’s not a deal breaker but it’s nice if you have..
- Experience with AWS Athena, Kinesis, Sagemaker is a plus
- Deep understanding of data storage architecture such as data bucketing, partitioning, indexing and compaction
- Experience with Power BI and other Data Visualization tools will be an asset
You are made for this if you…
- Are a self-motivated critical thinker are a self learner who has the tenacity to dig in when a solution is not readily visible
- Have a passion for DATA and love to work with large datasets
- Are a tech junkie who proactively learns new and open source data technologies
- Are a great listener and can translate data requirements into providing solutionsare solutions driven self-starter and solving a problem gives you a rush
- Are able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks effectively and concurrently balanced with managing tight deadlines
- Adept at combining disparate ideas, concepts and practices to produce effective solutions
- Have a great sense of curiosity that makes you iterate solutions to find best possible
- Are equally effective when working independently as well as within a teamare client service oriented with strong interpersonal skills
- Like to have FUN at work!
What about the “other” stuff
- Full Medical & Health Benefits
- Remote Work environment until August 2021 .
- Read more about our remote work environment from our CEO, Sam Sebastian here!
- Summer Hours •
- Fitness Allowance Program
- Course Reimbursement Program – We want you to keep learning, so we can too!
- Personal Days in addition to Vacation time off
- Open and transparent communication, including weekly AHMs with our CEO In-house Learning Academy that includes offerings like French, yoga, mindfulness
Our Promise to you…
We’re highly focused on doing the right thing.
We’ll discuss issues and timelines professionally, so you have the time you need to do the best work you can
You will see the result of your work pushed out to real users quickly
We’re a team that enjoys learning new technologies and we’re open to trying new things
We’ll try our best not to bog you down with boring meetings
Through constant innovation and entrepreneurship, Pelmorex has grown to reach consumers around the globe, has become one of the largest weather information providers and has broken new ground in providing data solutions and insights to businesses. Through harnessing the value of weather, Pelmorex is driven to make the world smarter and safer for consumers and businesses. #youwanttoworkhere