Strong communities don’t just happen-they’re built. They are creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We are driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We are a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable. Join the team that truly designs with community in mind.
We are looking for a civil engineering student to complete an 8 to 16-month internship within our Community Development business centre, commencing May 2021.
As a civil engineering intern, you will have the opportunity to learn and expand your engineering skills within a supportive team atmosphere. Our intern student will be provided coaching and guidance by senior engineers and technologists while completing meaningful tasks required for a project’s success.
Your Key Responsibilities
As a civil engineering intern, your responsibilities may include:
- Acting as an on-site observer for active construction projects. Duties include:
- Interacting with contractors, surveyors, and City of Calgary inspectors
- Cross-referencing engineering drawings to surveyor gradesheets and contractor product
- Communicating on-site issues to the office and assist with problem solving
- Assisting designers throughout various stages of drawing production. Duties include:
- Sound attenuation analysis studies
- Earthworks cut/fill analysis
- Erosion & Sediment Control Reports
- Design and review sanitary, storm and water networks in support of the designer
- Reviewing Shallow Utility Plans
- Using AutoCAD Civil 3D to prepare figures and to complete designer tasks
- Drafting emails, letters, memos, and technical reports
- Understanding and implementing Stantec’s policies, framework, and safety culture
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and take initiative when faced with a problem
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- A strong dedication to continuous improvement and professional development
- Possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license
Education and Experience
- Actively progressing towards a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with at least three years of education complete by May 1, 2021.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice. Field work may include exposure to the elements in unfavorable conditions.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.