Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE – Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population.
You are excited to shape this newly created role while shaping the future of a private technology company that is at a key inflection point in its rapid growth. You have a track record of successfully balancing fiscal responsibility with an entrepreneurial drive and you thrive in a fast moving, ever changing environment. By contributing your leadership skills, financial expertise and broad business knowledge you help to elevate the game of everyone at the executive table
You are an effective communicator who is able to convey our strategy and focus on the big picture while enabling your team to make sure all of the details are covered. You have public company experience and are accustomed to dealing with Board of Directors, bankers, investors and other stakeholders with a key interest in our company performance. You have played a key role in corporate transactions such as major financings and mergers & acquisitions.
What you will do:
- Partner with the CEO and Leadership team to drive company growth and profitability.
- Play a lead role on acquisitions, financings and partnerships.
- Drive the metrics and reporting needed for visibility and effective management of organizational performance.
- Lead our Accounting, Corporate Development, IT and Legal teams to ensure we have effective, compliant and scalable processes.
- Provide guidance and recommendations on financial, strategic and operational issues.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Finance, Business or other relevant education/designations.
- 15+ years of progressive experience in finance and team leadership roles.
- Min 3 years at senior executive level with regular interaction with Board of Directors
- Both public and private company experience.
- Track record in a similar role with a successful high growth organization.
- Action oriented and comfortable with ambiguity – willing to take calculated risks.
- Engenders trust and confidence – reputation for integrity and ethics along with deep financial acumen.
- Articulate and adaptable communicator – build clarity and alignment among employees, executives, investors, Board and other key stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills – comfortable with the numbers and strategic in how we drive them.
- Confident yet humble – proactively shares expertise while remaining keen to learn from others.
Nice to have:
- Technology company experience, ideally with a recurring revenue business model.
- Experience with an IPO.
- Experience in companies with revenue in the $50M-$200M range.
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you’re making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other.
- Have a lasting impact as you help to build a company.
- Learn a lot along the way!