Make an impact with SGS! With more than 97,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories across the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world’s leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world’s top multinationals and one of the world’s most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.
This position is expected to oversee the daily operation of the laboratory functions, as well as conduct laboratory testing of grain and flour samples to determine functional properties of wheat flour as it relates to end-use baking quality. Supporting the Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO) technically in their initiatives to promote Ontario wheat is also expected when required.
- Participate in scheduling workflow of submitted samples in order to meet acceptable turnaround times and quality standards.
- Participate in solving all day-to-day process and technical problems
- Assist the Commercial Manager with projects and initiatives as required.
- Review analytical reports for the testing conducted in the GATL.
- Ensure staff is properly trained at all tasks required. Assist with setting goals and performance reviews annually.
- Write analytical methods used in the laboratory based on official methods, review and update the methods manual, SOP manual and other quality system procedures as required
- Perform methods validation where deviations from the official methods are used and validate new methods in response to market needs. Work on improving the efficiency of existing methods
- Accountable for routine and non-routine equipment maintenance. Ascertain that critical analytical equipment is properly maintained and serviced to avoid production delays.
- Contribute to the resolution of customer complaints. Investigate the nature of the complaint, identify the cause(s) and provide related reports to the Branch Manager and QA Manager; Conduct necessary documentation.
- Conduct required preparation and testing of grain and flour samples such as moisture, protein, farinograph, alveograph, and baking.
- Ensure balance calibrations, pipette verifications, monitoring temperatures of water baths, fridges, freezers, etc. are proper.
- Monitor the daily conditions of the instruments (Farinograph, Alveograph, etc.)
- Perform and record preventive maintenance as needed.
- Participate in proficiency testing programs and support quality by assisting supervisor / manager in investigating questionable and unsatisfactory results.
- Adhere to the Company’s Quality Policy and Procedures.
- Use Laboratory Management Systems (LIMS).
- Be aware of customer requirements.
- Adhere to company health and safety policies.
- Provide accurate and timely results.
- Directly responsible for their area housekeeping and cleanliness on a daily basis.
- Integrate with other departments, sites, and countries to provide key knowledge and information for the betterment of SGS
- A post secondary education, BSc. or MSc. In Chemistry, Food Science, or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a laboratory is required.
- Experience in an agricultural laboratory is an asset.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 17025:2005 standards.
- Familiar with official accredited methods such as AOAC, AOCS and AACC methodology
- Sound knowledge of good laboratory practices.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.)
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work extended hours from time to time.
- Ensure full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.