Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Every power project is a community project-whether it’s a gas plant conversion, a transmission line corridor, or a wind development. Our goal is to improve industrial, business, and local communities through our project work. We see beyond the project at hand to where our work fits in the big picture. Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Our Energy and Telecommunications group in our Ottawa, ON office has a new opportunity for a CAD Drafter. This is a great opportunity for those who are looking to grow and advance their career in a thriving multidisciplinary environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Design fiber optic and coaxial communications networks to Client specifications
- Create RF system design for CATV networks for various types of projects consisting of new build (SFU/MDU), forced relocates, rebuild and system extensions
- Draft, design, redesign CATV network, and post as built utilizing client specific software (GIS/FMS)
- Produce plans for municipal consent, utility permits, and construction purposes
- Update RF and/or Fiber Design databases and maintain system maps including base map, cable, fiber routes, addresses & RF design including commercial, SFU, MDU, node profiles & powering data
- Calculate powering, conduct level analysis and select appropriate locations for power supplies & nodes
- Import AutoCAD, TIFF, DXF or other file formats, or hard copy maps to create electronic base maps for road base, MDU floor plans, and cable routing
- Prepare fiber optic splicing diagrams
- Prepare list of material
- Communicate with permits / project coordinators to facilitate the transfer of accurate information with regard to construction design and drafting
- Determine methodology to design plant changes with minimal impact to the network and customers
- Complete projects within prescribed time limits while delivering a high quality solution package.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Solid computer literacy in MS Office products
- Proficiency with AutoCAD a must
- Proficiency with SpatialNet or NetworkX a plus
- Knowledge of technical standards for the design of outside plant networks (asset)
- Knowledge of aerial and underground infrastructure, fiber, HFC, and coaxial system design (asset)
- Good written communication skills
- The ability to speak and write French is an asset
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self -starter who consistently demonstrates professionalism and willingly accepts responsibility
- This person performs as a team player, always shows a positive attitude towards clients, and strives for constant improvement in process and delivery
Education and Experience
College Diploma in Engineering technology or higher
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience with AutoCAD/GIS/FMS drafting tools
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 2100003O
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans