Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere? Are you an “outside the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced culture where your opinions are valued and respected?
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and non-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, governments and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people.
To get a better understanding of Mitacs and read more about our values please visit our website
Budget and Financial Analyst
- Assist with the development of the annual budget.
- Assist the forecasting process monthly to adjust the budget and proactively identify opportunities for improvement.
- Maintain and proactively improve financial models to enhance and streamline existing processes to compile, analyse and report on monthly financial results.
- Assist with the review and development of financial models.
- Work with Financial Analyst managing contract performance to operationalize funding contract management from a budgeting and analysis perspective.
- Work with Human Resource team to manage the payroll analysis and to operationalize a robust forecasting tool to monitor projections.
- Development of a robust cash flow forecast for two year rolling cash flow projection and recommendations on internal processes that are not congruent with robust cash flow forecasting.
- Assisting in the education and support of operational leadership in areas such as developing operating and capital budgets, monitoring, and interpreting financial information, and analysing deviations from plan and investigating causes.
- Support preparation of contract proposals or projection for funders which are consistent with models and budget.
Financial Analyses and Reporting
- Liaise with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, such as operational managers and data custodians, to collaborate and obtain feedback to deliver performance measurement solutions.
- Propose and implement solutions on how best to access, use and interpret performance results to various levels of leaders such as Management, Directors and Executives
- Analyze monthly results and monthly variance reporting and provide analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly corporate financial reports.
- Primary contact for budget information and analysis
- Respond to queries and requests from internal and external stakeholders
- Comfortable in taking on tasks beyond formal job responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
- CFA and/or CPA designation or equivalent recognised accounting designation completed or close to completion required
- Bachelor’s degree in business (accounting or finance) or related area
- 3 + years of progressive accountancy experience
- 1-2 years relevant experience working with budgets; specifically modelling analysis and payroll.
- Have excellent technical accounting skills and detailed understanding of GAAP standards
- Have excellent analysis and modelling skills and a detailed understanding of the tools which can support this.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Finance & Operations considered an asset
- Self-motivated with the ability to motivate others
- Strong communication skills – both written and oral – with all levels of stakeholders
- Advanced problem-solving abilities and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, and dynamic work environment
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential
- High level of business acumen and strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to make recommendations and communicate with senior management
- Ability to build and maintain strong cross-functional working relationships
- Solid knowledge of current accounting practices and technologies
- A proven ability for developing multi-faceted models and budgets
- Maintain accuracy and confidentiality in managing and reporting salary, budget, and other financial information.
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity, innovation, diversity, and inclusion are valued, encouraged, and fostered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Apply for This Job