Bank of Montreal
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Capital Mrkts Sales & Service
BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,800 professionals in 33 locations around the world, including 19 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$727 billion total assets and approximately 44,000 employees as of July 31, 2020.
The Business & Client Analytics team is responsible for generating client information for LOBs across BMO Capital Markets to track core clients and grow share of wallet.
- Develop and integrate internal and external sources of client information
- Provide insight and analysis that can be effectively and efficiently mined to support business decision-making
Client Services and Reporting – Weighting: 50%
- Develop and implement new reporting for Investment and Corporate Banking and Global Markets
- Utilize technical skills to efficiently and effectively extract and manipulate data from client databases or other source systems to meet various reporting needs (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc reports)
- Manage client expectations, and meet agreed upon deadlines; produce work that is timely and accurate. Strive to provide great customer service and anticipate follow-up inquiries
- Question the integrity of data; delve into data issues raised and work with team members to fix at the source considering the implication on any other data that would be similarly impacted
- Participate in and contribute to project and team meetings, interacting and collaborating with team members and other departments, as appropriate, in order to understand project requirements
Analytical Insights and Observations – Weighting: 30%
- Learn and implement advanced analytics to help resolve priority business problems
- Utilize knowledge of CM’s businesses, products, and risk measures to provide insight and analysis in support of LOB performance and strategic objectives
- Perform detailed financial and business analysis as necessary to support Capital Markets
Process Efficiencies – Weighting: 20%
- Leverage existing reports and business metrics reported where possible to minimize unnecessary work
- Assess current practice of generating reports and introduce process efficiencies / automation in database and reporting
We are looking for highly motivated, mature individuals with the following attributes:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program with a graduation date of December 2022 or later (applicants are typically between their second and second last co-op term);
- Currently working towards a degree in: Business, Math or Engineering;
- Proficiency in MS Office, MSBI, VBA, SQL, MS Visual Studio, Spotfire;
- Knowledge of advanced statistical packages, such as “R”, SAS would be an asset;
- Understanding of Capital Markets products;
- Knowledge of BMO CM’s financial systems an asset;
- Understanding of financial accounting concepts.
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, please apply through the BMO application link.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
2. Transcript (Required for application consideration – please upload in the resume field as you apply in Workday)
Provides a markets-based suite of sales and trading solutions to Institutional, Corporate, and Retail clients. Offers a full spectrum of integrated capabilities to deliver leading market insight, risk management, and execution services to issuing and/or investor clients, including access to major global markets across asset classes including: debt, foreign exchange, interest rate, credit, equity, securitization, and commodities. Provides competitive pricing to all clients and seeks out new opportunities with prospective clients. Maximizes profit while prudently minimizing the bank’s exposure and adhering to regulatory statutes.
- Acts as point person to provide client support in the form of proposals, marketing material, event planning, and scheduling with the cooperation of trading and sales, research, and marketing and with the support of a senior leader.
- Responds to inquiries from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community in a professional manner and determines acceptable solutions.
- Helps manage the flow of inquiries, market data, and other information from clients. Routes client calls appropriately and responds quickly to client questions.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Coordinates conference calls, client events and meetings.
- Maintains a proactive, client service focus in order to meet their needs and increase revenue; contacts customers to present available investment services and develops client prospects from among current customers, referral leads and other sources.
- Verifies that all confirms on trades or sales are accurate and promptly delivered.
- Communicates transaction details to the brokerage community and custodians. Resolves settlement issues related to incorrect billing.
- Answers phones, file, fax, and coordinates meeting and travel arrangements.
- Develops strong market knowledge to provide comprehensive service to clients, develop new solutions, and construct compelling recommendations.
- Reads, analyzes and interprets common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents in order to better serve client needs.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Cultivates strong relationships with the research team in order to understand their industries and stock coverage.
- Uses analytical skills (probability, statistical inference, etc.) and applies appropriate technical concepts and completes/leads consistent and reliable technical and financial reports/analyses to support client deliverables.
- Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Supports change management of varying scope and type; tasks typically focused on execution and sustainment activities.
- Executes a variety of administrative and analytical tasks as assigned and with minimal supervision (e.g. procedural documentation, brokerage and client commission reporting, maintenance of contacts database, disaster recovery planning, tracking and updating of periodic trading or sales metrics, etc.).
- Administers all aspects of the sales and or trading desk, record keeping, reporting, and file maintenance in accordance with internal controls and compliance policies and external regulations.
- Responds to requests for information from both internal and external sources.
- Communicates market data and client changes to colleagues when they are on the road or in meetings.
- Provides feedback on, and, supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with institutional equity markets.
- Series 7, 63 licenses.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, investment and financial reports.
- Strong familiarity with Outlook, Excel, Reuters Plus, Bloomberg, public finance/business news websites is desired.
- I-Star familiarity.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at www.jobs.bmo.ca/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.