At Higher Ground Education, we’re driven by a deep desire to bring about widespread change in education today. We believe that the traditional method of education used in most schools is antiquated, outdated, and broken. To meet the needs of today’s students and to bring about true progress in the world around us, we need an education model that fosters independence and develops competent, capable, action-oriented thinkers and change agents.
We are building out product and engineering teams to shape, launch, and scale its suite of digital products and experiences. We’re looking for individuals who are both systems-thinkers on building compelling digital experiences and hands-on doers with the technical skills to bring those experiences to life. If you’re excited about working in an entrepreneurial environment and building products that bring about widespread change in education today, this role is for you.
Higher Ground is looking for an experienced Backend Software Developer to build, launch, and scale its suite of digital products and experiences. You’ll work alongside Higher Ground’s Product, Operations and Programs teams to build APIs, ETLs and micro-services to support a system of digitally enabled student, parent, and faculty tools and applications.
The ideal candidate should be well-versed with the entire software development lifecycle from development to production monitoring. As a key member of the Technology team, you will also have a large degree of autonomy and ownership to work on the most impactful projects. There is no shortage of interesting technical problems to solve and opportunities to learn.
Key responsibilities are as follows.
The Software Developer will help us bring our product vision to life and build digital experiences for students, parents, and faculty. Key responsibilities are outlined below.
- Shape, build, launch, and scale products. Rapidly build (design, implement, deploy) end-to-end features for student, parent, and faculty-facing products.
- Design and develop APIs, ETLs and data models to support analytics, marketing platforms and front-end UI
- Collaborate with a cross-functional product team. Work with engineering, product, design, ops, etc. to ensure we deliver the right product for end users.
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Strategically scout new software tools & resources to stay fresh on best practices
We’d love to talk to you if you have…
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in software development (incl. design, implementation, debugging, support, building scalable system software and/or services)
- A BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Proficiency applying data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design to solve problems
- Experience handling complex data structures from multiple sources (customer-facing applications, conventional DBs) and different areas (systems of record, transactional, marketing, etc.)
- Experience with REST and RPC service patterns and other client/server interaction models
- Proficiency with database technology such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- Experience with a public cloud platform such as Amazon Web Services and/or Microsoft Azure.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, analytical thinking and problem-solving capability.
- Experience in working within a distributed & international agile team environment.
- A high degree of initiative and autonomy to lead your own initiatives with a performance- and results-oriented mindset.
- A passion for education and a sense of humor.
We’d really love to talk to you if you have …
- Experience building B2C or B2B ed-tech products
- Experience in international markets and/or fast-growing companies
- Advanced Degree (MS/ME/PhD) in computer science or related discipline or 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience playing a lead role to successfully build and launch B2B or B2C software
- Strong communication skills; experience collaborating with users, other teams, and leadership to collect requirements, describe software product features, etc.
- Deep knowledge of software engineering practices (incl. coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations)
- Experience mentoring and apprenticing others in all aspects of their engineering skillset
- Comfort stepping into pre-existing codebases, working to improve them
At Higher Ground Education , we’re driven by a deep desire to bring about widespread change in education today. To meet the needs of today’s students and to bring about true progress in the world around us, we need an education model that fosters independence and develops competent, capable, action-oriented thinkers and change agents. We believe that the key to international education reform lies in modernizing and mainstreaming the hugely impactful Montessori pedagogy.
Since our founding 4 years ago, we have opened 77 beautiful schools across the U.S. serving students from birth through high school. Now we’re virtual and going global. We offer:
- Fully remote work
- A competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- 100% tuition discount for two children at any school within our network
- A network of supportive peers and mentors who regularly share best practices
- Career growth and promotion opportunities
Want to get to know us better? Check out:
- The Higher Ground Story on tohigherground.com
- The Higher Ground Mission on tohigherground.com
- Higher Ground on Facebook