What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest levelof
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It’s our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing, the Assistant Vice President (AVP), National Business Development is a key member of the senior Sales & Marketing leadership team. The AVP, National Business Development, a newly created role, will provide leadership and assist in the direction of building a more agile and effective sales and marketing capability and sales culture that will underpin long-term sustainable and profitable growth for Markel Canada. This role reflects Markel’s increasing focus on the customer and its move away from providing products on a purely transactional basis, toward solution-oriented relationships.
A key member of the Canadian Sales & Marketing team, the AVP, National Business Development will work closely with the VP, Sales & Marketing as well as other senior Regional leads to drive this change in customer approach and support the significant growth ambitions for the Canadian market. This will include leveraging data and market insights to proactively identify and target customers and effectively building the customer journey with a focus on customer experience.
Duties and accountabilities
1. Strategy Development and Delivery
Partner with the VP, Sales & Marketing to produce sales and marketing strategies that increase brand awareness, deliver on our ambitious growth plans and increase Markel’s market presence in Canada.
Research, develop, and contribute to delivering a refined sales and marketing business plan with a focus ongrowth, branding and evolving the go-to-market strategy across all business channels nationally, including the development of sector specific propositions.
Support, plan and deliver business growth targets for the Canadian businesses as a member of the Canadian Sales & Marketing Team.
2. Planning and Management Information
In partnership with the VP, Sales & Marketing and the Planning and Strategy Group contribute to the development of market appropriate sales and marketing plans for Canada, ensuring we build a strong foundation during transformation change, while maintaining profitable growth.
Leveraging data and market insights to proactively identify and build a transformational sales organization that delivers sustainable business results.
3. Sales and Marketing Contributions
Support and contribute to the development and the launch of all new products, services, and territories within the market.
Provide leadership with the coordination of all internal and external sales and marketing communications including the customer marketing communications, event and presentations (internal and external presentations). Including, increased awareness and penetration of broker, online and affinity markets.
Deliver both distribution and product segmentation to support the development of the products and services suite, and ensure an effective distribution focus
4. Sales and Marketing Operations
Work with regional colleagues, product line, and sector leaders for the strategic development of plans and execution and implementation strategies.
With The Markel Style at the forefront and guiding principle of all actions, work and engage consistently in a manner that helps to cultivate a team of motivated staff, capable of supporting Markel Canada’s strategic focus as a sector and online specialist with a bias toward liability.
Contribute nationally to ensure that annual goals for organizational success are relevant, measurable, communicated and with frequent feedback provided (formally and informally) with applicable domestic and international colleagues.
Support with the necessary collaboration with business partners (HR, Underwriting and Claims) to determine and deliver appropriate training and professional development for the teammates across Markel Canada.
Skills, knowledge and experience
• Applicable education and will bring significant progressive sales and business experience within the insurance and/or financial services industries They will have a proven track record developing and deploying innovative strategies, effectively contributing, leading and transforming a national sales and marketing function to achieve superior business results.
- Understanding of intermediary distribution channels and a proven ability and track record of winning business in partnership/affinity models. Non-intermediated sales experience would be an additional asset.
- A change strategist, they have a track record of orchestrating sustainable change and sees opportunity in managing disruption to the industry. They bring the leadership courage to mitigate internal and external resistance and are comfortable with “constructive change management and challenge”.
- An accomplished team builder and player, they create trust, influence and credibility at all levels. They put the needs of the team first and are supportive, curious, collaborative and candid, open to new ideas and innovation.
- They will possess the strategic thinking ability and agility to assess the competitive landscape, successfully anticipate what the competition will do next and execute a winning strategy.
- Focused, data and outcome driven, the AVP, National Business Development, alongside the VP Sales & Marketing and other regional leads, will play a leadership role in building a more results driven accountable culture, aimed at ensuring the business is nimble, customer focused and can make effective, fact based decisions swiftly.
- An effective relationship builder with deep sales literacy, they really understand how to successfully sell ideas, products and/or concepts both internally and externally, building durable networks. An exceptional communicator, they present the organization’s value proposition with poise, passion and purpose.
- Proactive, confident and self-motivated, they bring an unshakable belief in long term value creation over short-term successes, establishing a high level of credibility externally and internally.
- With demonstrated brand management expertise, they bring experience building a corporate brand, serving as an effective brand ambassador and storyteller, with strength in appropriate aspects of branding including e-commerce, digital and business-to-business.
- Analytically skilled and has good project management capabilities.
- Self-starter with a curious and progressive mind.
- Skilled in using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and Dynamics (CRM), which are required for Markel’s reporting and communication
Values driven and humble, the candidate displays the Markel Competencies of:
Pursuit of excellence
- Consistently provides quality work products
- Adapts behaviour to reflect the style of others to foster effective working relationships
- Finds the most efficient and practical means of overcoming challenges
- Actively looks for solutions to customer problems
- Seeks to further knowledge of customer needs
- Builds relationships with customers and responds to needs by demonstrating tact, empathy and professionalism
- Seeks the best and most direct option to accomplish tasks
- Demonstrates effective organisation skills
- Applies logic and draws accurate conclusions from information
- Helps others succeed
- Approaches change in a positive manner
- Listens for and acts on key information
- Holds self and others accountable to ethical standards
- Takes ownership and accountability for own development
- Shows accountability and resilience in achieving goals
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.