(This position is open to a varying level of seniority)
Are you excited about working at the forefront of Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing and applying state-of-the-art methods to challenging business problems? Thomson Reuters Labs in Toronto is seeking an Applied Research Scientist with a passion for solving problems using state-of-the-art Machine Learning, Deep Neural Network Natural and Artificial Intelligence techniques.
What does Thomson Reuters Labs do? We experiment, we build and deliver. We support the organization and our customers through applied research and the development of new products and technologies. The Labs innovate collaboratively across our core segments in Legal, Tax & Accounting, Government, and Reuters News. We undertake a diverse portfolio of projects today while investing in long-term research for the future.
As an Applied Research Scientist, you will be part of a diverse and interdisciplinary global team of experts. We hire specialists in Artificial Intelligence, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning and Engineering & Design to driv e the company’s Digital and AI transformation . Thomson Reuters Labs is known for consistently delivering successful Artificial Intelligence projects allowing us to expand and advance state-of-the-art to support high growth products that serve Thomson Reuters customers in new and exciting ways.
About the role
In this opportunity as an Applied Research Scientist , you will:
- Experiment and Develop : You will be involved in the entire model development life cycle, building, testing and delivering high-quality solutions. You will apply best practices for conducting reproducible research and well-managed software delivery.
- Collaborate : Working on a collaborative cross-functional team, you will share information, value diverse ideas, and partner effectively with colleagues across the globe.
- Delivery: With a strong sense of urgency and a desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, you will translate complex business problems into projects with clearly defined scope, be accountable for end-to-end deliveries, and deliver solutions against strict timelines.
- Innovate : Our problems are complex; our solutions are right-sized. You are empowered to try new approaches and learn new technologies. You will contribute innovative ideas and create new solutions to solve real-world challenges.
- Inspire : You are a proactive communicator who is excited to share your work. You will be articulate and compelling in describing ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences. You will lead the way in the adoption of AI across the enterprise.
Here is our wish list. If you are excited about this opportunity, meet most of the following criteria, and are eager to learn, we want to hear from you!
- Have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or other data-heavy disciplines, or a Masters degree in those fields with 3 years of research or industry experience.
- Have deep understanding and experience with Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning methods including Deep Neural Networks , and/or Natural Language Processing.
- Are proficient in one or more programming languages (preferably Python, Java, or Scala) and have familiarity working in the Cloud (preferably AWS)
- Have experience with open-source libraries such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, spaCy or sci-kit learn.
- Have 2 to 8 years of academic or industry experience building ML/NLP/AI systems with the ability to translate cutting edge research into working applications (we are hiring for multiple roles with a varying level of seniority)
- Have publications in relevant conferences and workshops (ACL, EMLNP, NeurIPS , ICML, KDD, etc.)
- Understand and apply agile development best practices
- Have experience working in a fast-paced environment to deliver minimum viable products
- Are comfortable working with large unstructured datasets and knowledgeable about tools and techniques for processing data at scale
- Excel at communication, project management, reproducible research, and data analysis
- Demonstrate the ability to translate complex business and customer challenges into research hypotheses and well-structured project plans
What’s in it for you
At Thomson Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. In addition to rewarding and challenging work with exceptional colleagues, we offer the following benefits for your personal and professional growth:
- Learning & Development : On-the-job coaching & learning, tuition reimbursement, exposure to leading-edge technology
- Our Scientists and Engineers get to play with big data sets to discover new products, capabilities, and insights for our customers. Thomson Reuters is most well-known for the globally respected Reuters News agency, but our company is also the leading source of information for legal, corporate and tax professionals. We have over 60,000 TBs worth of legal, regulatory, news, and tax data.
- Benefits : Flexible work arrangements, comprehensive health coverage effective day one, savings and investment plans
- Perks : Social events & activities, employee discount programs
- Social Impact : Paid time off for volunteering virtually or in your community
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com .