Application Development Director
Sunwing Travel Group is the largest vertically integrated travel group in North America and during this unprecedented time, we are continuing to search for top talent. We are looking for candidates who are EPIC (entrepreneurial, passionate, innovative and customer-centric) to join our team and help deliver our purpose “passionate people making vacation dreams come true”. To abide by social distancing guidelines and local regulations, our current hiring process may include telephone or video call interviews and onboarding will be provided virtually when possible, or in-person in accordance with physical distancing guidelines.
With our own award-winning airline, the largest resort chain across the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America with over 30 properties, a destination management company and retail businesses, Sunwing is uniquely positioned to be with customers throughout their entire vacation journey.
Click here to learn more about our Safe with Sunwing commitment and how Sunwing is keeping its employees and customers safe.
The Application Development Director will participate in the delivery of enterprise system design, development, test, release, and communication. The position reports to the CIO and will be located in Toronto, ON.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and lead a team of internal and external software development Analysts in order to develop, test, analyze, and maintain existing and new software solutions
- Understand and implement improvements by leveraging the existing SDLC, identifying improvements to existing practices and define new procedures and policies to align with industry best practices
- Accountable for ensuring technology solutions comply with architectural standards
- Manage and lead a team of internal and external QA Analysts in the delivery of test planning, test preparation, and test execution
- Maintain, mature, and evolve QA methodologies and processes
- Drive QA automation and efficiencies in order to reduce delivery times which ultimately deliver faster lifecycles
- Foster an environment of engineering excellence and innovation
- Accountable for effective project management and delivery of work requests and projects within committed budget, schedule, and quality for individual projects while also meeting overall department performance goals
- Define, prioritize, allocate resources, track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, programs
- Ensures projects/programs are completed within the committed time and budget
- Establish collaborative and productive relationships with LOBs, product management, UX design, vendors, and other supporting teams
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining the performance of any application issues in accordance with agreed SLA
- Accountable for maximizing the productivity of the applications staff and the maintainability of software systems, keeps abreast of new technologies, incorporates those technologies when appropriate, and motivates others to utilize them
- Perform vendor management and contract negotiation with partners and solution providers
- Mentor and grow people to meet the expectations. Create a culture of collaboration and individual accountability that encourages productivity, innovation, process improvement, teamwork all with a high level of professionalism
- Own and be responsible for the complete end to end delivery of software and solution development
- Responsible for department and individual performance assessments and improvement plans
- Responsible for coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans
- Responsible for hiring, onboarding, and offboarding of resources
What You’ll Need:
- BA/BS degree required, an advanced degree is preferred in CS or related field.
- 10+ years of software industry experience
- 3 – 5 years of experience leading/managing technical professionals (architects, software developers, development managers, and/or technical program managers)
- Proven experience in project management of multiple initiatives with competing priority and disparate resourcing
- Hands-on experience with agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.), exposure through TFS or Azure DevOps is an asset
- Experience and comfortable presenting and conducting various types of sessions planning, designing, review, etc.
- Experience managing teams delivering high traffic, high availability n-Tier, Web, Mobile, and/or Integration solutions
- Experience developing and delivering complex enterprise real-time and batch integration solutions
- Customer-focused mindset, taking pride in creating software/application solutions
- Extensive experience working with C#, ASP.NET MVC, AJAX, WCF, Web API, Rest API, RDBMS, and NoSQL.
- Experience with automation tools, CI and CD software using TFS or Azure DevOps
- Experience or exposure to JamStack and CMS is an asset
- Experience with test automation using a unit or other test framework
- Passion for building quality software systems
- Excellent communication skills in English; both oral and written
- Excellent analytical and creative problem solving, research, and reporting skills.
- Hospitality or Travel organization experience is an asset
Environment and Scope:
- Fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment
- Works closely with various departments and must adapt to varying communication styles
- Must be flexible and adaptable to support a team that operates 24/7, 365 days
What You’ll Be A Part Of:
- Remote Work Opportunities
- Grow your career with challenging and rewarding work that makes a difference
- Opportunity to give back through our social responsibility initiatives
- Work with a fun, passionate, travel-loving team!
- See for yourself! @sunwinglife
We thank all who apply however only those who meet the qualifications will be contacted.
At Sunwing, diversity is important to us. Click here to learn about how Diversity and Inclusion has always been, and continues to be, a top priority for us. We are proud that our workforce is made up of passionate people from all experiences and backgrounds. We are also committed to employment equity and to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment. We welcome applications from everyone. We will accommodate all applicants throughout the hiring process. If you are an individual who requires accommodation to apply to this position, please email [email protected] or call 416 859 2973.