22 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M4T 2S7
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
The George Weston Limited (“GWL”) Commodities and Foreign Exchange Group advises both Loblaw/SDM Companies (“Loblaw”) and Weston Foods on commodity and foreign exchange risk management strategies. The Group is accountable to both Weston Foods and Loblaw to provide risk management solutions on the cost of commodities and currency impacting business operations, to recommend and execute hedging strategies, and provide cost analytics and reporting on hedging programs. Additionally, the group provides unique market analytics and knowledge to internal stakeholders and senior leadership teams to facilitate better decision making.
At its core, our business is about working with internal partners to understand exposures and structure risk management solutions to meet their business goals.
We are looking to hire someone who will be responsible for building trusted relationships within the GWL Group of Companies. This highly motivated individual will help business units reduce commodity and currency risk to help meet their overall business objectives. The individual will accomplish this using a full range of risk management solutions from various approved financial counterparties.
This is a dynamic environment that provides a significant amount of breadth and exposure to the various businesses that George Weston Limited supports.
- Assessing commodity and foreign exchange market risk and developing meaningful risk management solutions for Weston Foods and Loblaws businesses
- Develop commodity and foreign exchange strategies through internal and external market research and discussions. Align with business through key stakeholders including Procurement, Operations and Finance.
- Execute approved strategies with brokers and financial institutions; coordinate with Financial Reporting, Treasury, Legal where applicable
- Develop relationships with suppliers and team members at Loblaw and Weston Foods to validate forecasted volume exposures and confirm transactional bookings
- Assist in the daily reconciliation of the portfolio and perform financial and physical settlements with counterparties
- Responsible for developing meaningful reporting and materials for key businesses that are supported from commodity and foreign exchange standpoint
- Assist in managing short-term investments and serve as a backup for Money Market trading and support the counterparty risk management process
- Support IT in developing system enhancements in Treasury and Commodity Risk Management system
- Assist in departmental adherence to internal controls, disclosures and overall governance requirements
- University degree in Finance, Business or a related field
- 2+ years relevant finance experience, with foundational understanding of financial markets, hedging and financial derivatives (futures, forwards, options, swaps etc.)
- Enrollment in CFA, CAIA, or FRM program is considered an asset
- Knowledge of commodity purchasing process including exchange for physical arrangements with suppliers and brokers
- Demonstrated leadership and high level of professionalism with external and internal partners
- Strong business acumen and ability to build relationships with multiple levels of the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong math skills, problem solving skills, and attention to detail
- Experience in the development of financial models using Excel will be considered an asset (VBA inclusive)
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Bloomberg, and PowerBI
George Weston Limited recognizes Canada’s diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Number of Openings
Please Note: If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application