Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The investment fund taxation team is responsible for the tax compliance of all Manulife Canadian Investment funds, including Mutual Funds (including ETFs), Segregated Funds, Institutional Pooled Funds and Private Market funds. We also provide tax advisory services to the business on any fund initiatives (new launches, mergers/terminations and structured product). The key accountability of this role is to ensure timely and accurate compliance reporting to the tax authorities. In addition, the incumbent will occasionally advise the business on technical tax matters. This role provides the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in investment fund taxation.
The main tasks relate to tax compliance, such as:
- Support the manager on monthly and year end distributions and allocations
- Review Canadian corporate, trust and partnership tax returns as well as India Tax returns
- Review and complete documentation for foreign markets
- Review of the withholding tax rates applied by the custodians
- Prepare W8BenE and CRS documentation for new fund launches or renewals
- Prepare CRA registration documents
- Support internal and external tax audits
- Support PFIC reporting
- Maintain the Investment Fund list
- Perform monthly monitoring on investment funds to prevent adverse tax consequences
- Prepare financial analysis to support recommendation on Fund mergers/portfolio rebalancing
- Special distribution analysis on redemptions/subscriptions
- Impact analysis on the addition/deletion of new series/Classes into MIX Corp.
Participate in distribution review for Mutual Fund Trust (including ETFs) and Pooled Funds:
- Review monthly, quarterly and year-end distributions
- Participate in the mock runs
- Accounting designation (CPA or equivalent)
- Pursuing In-Depth tax course (or equivalent)
- 1 to 2 years of relevant experience in tax or finance
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong accounting, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks with overlapping deadlines
- Effective partnership skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of the financial services industry is an asset
If you are ready to unleash your potential, its time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of September 30, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$943 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.2 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact [email protected] .