5G Transport Principal Software Developer
Initially remote until our location re-opens in Ottawa
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company – we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
Dell is looking for a Transport Principal Developer to take part in a once in a career opportunity to be part of building something from scratch and shepherding it into the marketplace.
The Transport Principal Developer will be a key member of a brand new, built from the ground up, high powered Ottawa R&D team. The team will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing a technology new to Dell for addressing the demands of the 5G Radio subsystem for operators and to help our customers to exploit this significant market evolution. The candidate for this role will have experience in a development role in a 4G/5G development organization.
From applied research to advanced engineering, Dell’s 5G R&D team will design and develop ground-breaking products & solutions, as a first-ever go-to-market for Dell in this space. It’s a fascinating field of work. You will be involved in assessing the competition, developing technology and products and generating intellectual property. Your contributions will drive product architecture and implementation in support of building something from the ground up, all while working with colleagues across the business to ensure Dell products always lead the way.
If you’re interested in taking part in a once in a career opportunity, Dell is looking for a Transport Principal Developer with advanced expertise in 5G Radio, to be part of a brand new, built from the ground up, high powered Ottawa R&D team. The team will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing a technology new to Dell for addressing the demands of the 5G Radio subsystem for operators and to help our customers to exploit this significant market evolution. The candidate for this role will have significant work experience in Telco around transport area, prefer with 5G wireless development, 4G R&D, mobile systems, and 3GPP.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Own and drive design and architecture for Transport Network components in 5G RAN
- Manage software requirements
- Interface with Platform, OAM and other components that interact with Transport components
- Own sign-off on all software verification for Transport area
- Own the definition of software regression test environments and test cases
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Apply NFV and cloud system architecture
- Ensure consistent high standards across in-house design, contracted design work, third-party partnerships, and OEM solutions
- Engineer solutions aligned with 3GPP and O-RAN Alliance (O-RAN) specifications for 4G and 5G networks in the open RAN ecosystem
- Evaluate and advise on commercial technology, vendor reference designs, third-party IP, and build-versus-buy decisions
- Guide product definition to efficient and effective solutions with compelling customer value in real network deployments
Essential Skills and Expertise/Experience
- Effective team player, with willingness to build a collaborative and trusting environment for all
- Desire to lead by example, to learn and innovate while building quality product
- Proven record of working on large mobile network systems either as a member of a network equipment manufacturer or as a radio technology provider.
- Expert in eNodeB/gNodeB Software
- Ideally including exposure to O-RAN
- Experienced in IPv4, IPv6, IPSec, DHCP, SCTP
- Experienced in Precision Timing Protocol (PTP)
- Familiarity with use of hardware accelerators for encryption
- Understanding of Fronthaul, Midhaul and Backhaul in 5G RAN
- Experienced in integrating third-party software IP
- Detailed understanding of 3GPP specifications in RAN
- Organized, goal-oriented technical leader to lead, follow, and effectively collaborate with knowledgeable development peers and business partners.
- Strong knowledge in 4G and 5G Radio and/or subsystems architecture, implementation and ecosystem
Minimum Experience and Education
7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Typically requires 5+ years diversified Software Systems Design, Software Functional Specification, RAN Algorithms, Software Requirements Management, and Software Development with respect to eNodeB and gNodeB
Dell Technologies is a unique family of businesses that helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live and play-providing customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio. We value our customers, winning together, innovation, results and integrity. Grow your career with a highly competitive salary, bonus programs, world-class benefits and unparalleled learning and development opportunities- all at a company that is proud to be diverse and inclusive. Learn more on how we are closing the diversity gap here.