5G CU Principal Software Developer
Initially remote uintil our location re-opens in Ottawa
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company – we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
From applied research to advanced engineering, Dell’s 5G R&D team will design and develop ground-breaking products & solutions, as a first-ever go-to-market for Dell in this space. It’s a fascinating field of work. You will be involved in assessing the competition, developing technology and products and generating intellectual property. Your contributions will drive product architecture and implementation in support of building something from the ground up, all while working with colleagues across the business to ensure Dell products always lead the way.
If you’re interested in taking part in a once in a career opportunity, Dell is looking for a Control Unit Principal Developer with advanced expertise in 5G Radio, having overall ownership for software resident on the Control Unit, to be part of a brand new, built from the ground up, high powered Ottawa R&D team. The team will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing a technology new to Dell for addressing the demands of the 5G Radio subsystem for operators and to help our customers to exploit this significant market evolution. The candidate for this role will have significant work experience in 5G wireless development, 4G R&D, mobile systems, and 3GPP as well as a strong background in gNodeB/eNodeB software.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Overall owner for software resident on control units (CU)
- Own interworking specifications for external interfaces of the CU
- Own functional specifications and architecture for CU software
- Manage software requirements
- Own that all software requirements are covered by verification activities and that all verification activities are allocated to designer verification or formal verification teams as appropriate
- Own sign-off on all software verification for CU
- Own the definition of software regression test environments and test cases
- Know and apply RF test and measurement as it relates to CU software verification
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Apply NFV and cloud system architecture
- Evaluate and recommend third-party IP blocks
- Ensure consistent high standards across in-house design, contracted design work, third-party partnerships, and OEM solutions
- Drive solutions aligned with 3GPP and O-RAN Alliance (O-RAN) specifications for 4G and 5G networks in the open RAN ecosystem
- Collaborate closely throughout the development process to jointly establish top-level product characteristics, technology selections, performance algorithms, verification techniques, and sign-off of verification results
- Leader at the center of internal teams and many different external collaboration models ranging from contacted design, co-design partnerships, to turn-key OEM sourcing of broadband 4G and 5G radio products
- Evaluate and advise on commercial technology, vendor reference designs, third-party IP, and build-versus-buy decisions
- Guide product definition to efficient and effective solutions with compelling customer value in real network deployments
Essential Skills and Expertise/Experience
- Proven record of working on large mobile network systems either as a member of a network equipment manufacturer or as a radio technology provider.
- Expert in eNodeB/gNodeB Software
- Experienced in Software Functional Specification and Software Requirements Management
- Ideally including exposure to O-RAN
- Experienced in integrating third-party software IP
- Detailed understanding of 3GPP specifications as related to CU and DU
- Wireless expert with strong hands-on technical skills and the demonstrated ability to work across disparate groups including sales, operations, product management, and engineering.
- Organized, goal-oriented technical leader to lead, follow, and effectively collaborate with knowledgeable development peers and business partners.
- Strong knowledge in 4G and 5G Radio and/or subsystems architecture, implementation and ecosystem
Minimum Experience and Education
7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Typically requires 5+ years diversified Software Systems Design, Software Functional Specification, RAN Algorithms, Software Requirements Management, and Software Development with respect to eNodeB and gNodeB
Dell Technologies is a unique family of businesses that helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live and play-providing customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio. We value our customers, winning together, innovation, results and integrity. Grow your career with a highly competitive salary, bonus programs, world-class benefits and unparalleled learning and development opportunities- all at a company that is proud to be diverse and inclusive. Learn more on how we are closing the diversity gap here.