Who we are
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators-at all Ubisoft Canadian studios-to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands such as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs. Our vanguard studio is on the hunt for passionate and experienced innovators to lead our inspired team in the creation of leading-edge technology in one of Canada’s fastest growing cities for game and tech development. Join the family!
Who you are
You are the mastermind behind our stunning visuals, the lens through which our players experience our game worlds. You are passionate about developing new technologies and workflows to put the power of creation into the hands of artists. You will analyze and re-think existing technology and tools to build new methods to create the most beautiful and memorable game worlds in the industry. You are eager to dive into work across the spectrum of 3D programming from rendering engine architecture to hardware ray tracing to shader optimization.
What you’ll do
- Plan 3D technology development with Technical Artists and the Lead Programmer
- Iteratively develop new 3D technology in collaboration with Technical Artists and other programmers
- Analyse and propose improvement to the existing 3D technology in the engine
- Perform memory and performance optimizations of the 3D technology to meet the requirements for target platforms of the game
- Provide support to Technical Artists and other team members as required to correctly and efficiently utilize the 3D technology
- Debug and fix issues in the 3D technology as they arise
- Write and publish scientific papers on new technology as required
What you bring
• A degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent training or experience;
- Experience in 3D programming for Xbox One, PS4 and/or PC (DX11+/OpenGL 4.3+);
- 5+ years programming experience;
- Shipped at least 1 game as rendering engineer;
- Relevant experience working on AAA titles, current and next-gen consoles;
- Understanding of modern GPU rendering pipeline and how to utilize it efficiently;
- Solid understanding of 3D linear algebra;
- Comprehensive understanding of rendering techniques used in modern AAA game productions;
- Mastery of C/C++ with excellent multi-threaded programming techniques.
- Experience with hardware raytracing, voxels and/or global illumination;
- Experience with real-time Physically Based Rendering (lighting, BRDF’s, camera model, etc.);
- Drive and knowledge how to push the real-time rendering quality in games;
- Ability to clearly explain complex technical problems to less technical audience;
- Ability to propose technical solutions considering the entire production pipeline;
- Strong understanding of 3D rendering algorithms and related mathematics;
- Knowledge of HLSL/Cg;
- Deep understanding of low-level optimizations and core subsystems, memory management, cross-platform development;
- Experience using game development frameworks and middleware;
- Self-direction, focus, results-oriented thinking, resourceful problem-solving skills;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
What to send our way
• Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills.